New mom here...

tonicmomof3

Reaction score
On Friday the 13th we were given confirmation that my almost 11 month old daughter has hearing loss. She failed both OAE's in the hospital when she was born--they said that it could either be from fluid in the ears from birth or because she was on antibiotics (they thought she had an infection, so they gave them to her as a precaution--blood work ended up negative), so they sent us home and wanted us to come back and repeat it shortly after leaving. We went back and had it repeated, and again, she failed, which gave us a referral to the Audiology department. She had two ABR's, the last in December at 4 months old and we were told that she has no OAE's but her ABR was normal, which can happen (the Audiologist that did her testing had the same thing and she hears with no problem) and recommended that we do a repeat ABR at a year old.

I started noticing that once she became mobile (about 6-7 months old) she would not respond to us when we called her. I told her doctor at her 6 month appointment, and a Nurse Practicioner at her 9 month appointment the same thing, to which they responded that she was probably just a busy baby and didn't have the time to respond to us. The past few weeks my concern grew because there were times that I clapped, yelled, called to her and she didn't turn her head--the best example was that I had shouted at our dogs while holding her and she never turned her head or startled. She also didn't speak, only doing high pitched shreaks instead of sounds. I decided to schedule her test earlier than one year because I didn't want to wait the extra few weeks, I wanted to know now.

We went in Friday morning and I discussed with the Audiolgists my concerns, things I have noticed. They put us in a soundproof room and called to her and made noises at different levels, the highest being 90 decibiles, and again she didn't startle or turn her head. They confirmed what I had already knew/suspected, that she does indeed have hearing loss. Even though I already pretty much knew that was the answer they were going to give me, it was still devastating to hear. I cried off and on all day, and what made it harder was that my hubby was out of town with my oldest son so I had to deal with it alone.

She is scheduled for a sedated ABR next Wednesday to determine the extent of the hearing loss, and what our next steps will be. I know that we'll be able to handle whatever it is that we're thrown, it's just very overwhelming at this point. We have no family in the area, and two boys (10 and 8) on top of all this to take care of. We have not changed the way we interact with her, although I am attempting to teach her some baby sign language, but it's not like she really cares or wants to take the time to watch and learn!

So, that's my/our story--sorry it was so long. I have a feeling I will be on this board a lot once her ABR is done asking a TON of questions! Looking forward to getting to know you all and getting some good advice and help! :)

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

I'd definitely recommend starting to learn ASL (not baby sign, actual ASL) - it's actually something that your family can do and learn together :)

Also get in touch with early intervention as they will have someone come to your home and help teach your family how to sign as well as how to raise a hoh or deaf child - things like how to get their attention then communicate, how to read to them, how to make sure that they are learning language correctly and how to make your home Hoh/deaf accessible.

I know this can feel overwhelming, but you're fortunate that you found out early enough that your family can learn ASL at the same time as your child (and learn how to properly communicate orally as well) so that they'll have the best of both worlds :)

Instead of seeing this as a tragedy that will strain your family, perhaps look at it as an opportunity for your family to become even closer, by learning together.

(P.S. For the older kids learning ASL also has the advantage of being classed as a foreign language in most places, which means they may be able to get additional jr high and high school language credits for knowing ASL :) :)

(I wish my parents had found out as early as you have ... It would have been so much easier to grow up bi-lingual from such a young age, instead of having to wait until I was older and already struggling.

welcome to AD, same boat with my parents when they noticed I wasn't responding to my name being called so I ended up wearing hearing aids at 6 months old :)

Yes....... I know it's hard realizing that your kid is dhh.....but at least there's a lot of good resources.
And I know it's overwheming......but there are a ton of resources out there....it also seems to be a lot easier for dhh kids to develop spoken language skills nowadays. I know parents can be worried about that.....she'll develop spoken language. Most dhh kids do. The key really is trying to go full toolbox....yes offer her speech therapy, but ALSO ASL. She can grow up bilingal, and fluent in both languages!
Contact Georgia School for the Deaf - Index and American Society for Deaf Children - Home and Hands & Voices

Oh, and there's Atlanta Area School for the Deaf, but that site seems to be down.

Hi, I am a newbie mom to this board too. My son is only 8 weeks but I can identify.with much of what you wrote! He too failed twice at birth. Then 3 weeks later, and at 6 weeks an ABR showed moderate to severe loss. I am totally overwhelmed and anxious about the future too but know we can handle this. It isn't what we 'expected' but just means a different path. My concerns are how to get my son to be fluent in ASL and us too, and just making the best choices for him. We have a 3.5 daughter as well and both work so a concern is.having enough time to dedicate. Unfortunately quitting is not an option for me right now. Good luck. We can chat throughout if you like.

Back