New member Post - TV Dialogue problems

Audio Pete

Reaction score
My wife is hard of hearing (reverse slope loss) and was struggling to hear the TV especially with speech. The dialogue in programmes and films are increasingly harder to hear as they add ‘atmosphere’ to the speech which results in reduced clarity. Even those with normal hearing, like myself can struggle to hear the dialogue.

Being an professional Electronics Engineer I was sure I could find a solution.

The easiest solution is to use headphones – sound directly to the ears, but unfortunately most TV’s cut out the sound to the speakers when you plug in the headphones.

The solution was to us the ‘Digital Audio Output’ which most flat screen TV’s have nowadays as they can be used to connect a sound bar or Hi-Fi and do not cut out the speakers.

I designed a unit to convert the ‘Digital Audio Output’ to amplified audio for headphones. The sound level is quite loud but most importantly it is extremely clear.

The unit is very small, cheap and easy to use, the headphones have an in-lead volume control so the user can instantly adjust the sound level between speech and music.

My wife has been using the TV headphone amplifier for the last 2 years and would not be without it. My Mum now has age related hearing loss and also uses the amplifier so my dad can turn down the speaker volume.

Both Oticon and Phonak offer wireless TV Links through Bluetooth using the regular streamer that comes with the hearing aids. I am sure most of the major hearing aid manufacturers do the same. Furthermore, turning the captions on is always a good idea.

Hi Swedeafa

The idea was for a cheap easy to use solution (£45). Also my wife didn't want to wear hearing aids in the evening after wearing them all day, but I guess it's personal preference.

Steaming via bluetooth does alter/degrade the audio as it is highly compressed to allow transmition, but of course this can be subjective.

Do you know how the bluetooth streamer is connected to the TV or is for laptops and tablets?

Pete

Here are a links for Phonak and Oticon:

http://www.phonak.com/com/b2c/en/pr.../products/tvlink-s/hearing-aid-accessory.html
http://www.oticon.com/support/wireless-connectivity/connectline/tv-

I use captions in the situations you describe. Too me, the streamed sound is very clear. No issues at all. I hear much worse using headphones, since the sound is not adjusted to my audiogram. We need different amplification at different frequencies. Unfortunately, since my hearing loss means the hair cells in the cochlea are damaged. This means the sound perception is not very accurate and amplified sounds (using hearing aids or headphones) is never clear or as beautiful or detailed as regular hearing. When the goal is to get the dialogue I prefer to use captions. Especially if I have been listening a lot during the day and am tired in the evening. People with only a slight hearing loss might have different preferences of course, and it is very individual what works best.

Thanks for the links.

Due to the reverse slope hearing loss or cookie bite she has never really found hearing aids that fit her hearing loss which is across the speech band.
Therefore she probably relies less on the hearing aids.

My wife is hard of hearing (reverse slope loss) and was struggling to hear the TV especially with speech. The dialogue in programmes and films are increasingly harder to hear as they add ‘atmosphere’ to the speech which results in reduced clarity. Even those with normal hearing, like myself can struggle to hear the dialogue.

Being an professional Electronics Engineer I was sure I could find a solution.

The easiest solution is to use headphones – sound directly to the ears, but unfortunately most TV’s cut out the sound to the speakers when you plug in the headphones.

The solution was to us the ‘Digital Audio Output’ which most flat screen TV’s have nowadays as they can be used to connect a sound bar or Hi-Fi and do not cut out the speakers.

I designed a unit to convert the ‘Digital Audio Output’ to amplified audio for headphones. The sound level is quite loud but most importantly it is extremely clear.

The unit is very small, cheap and easy to use, the headphones have an in-lead volume control so the user can instantly adjust the sound level between speech and music.

My wife has been using the TV headphone amplifier for the last 2 years and would not be without it. My Mum now has age related hearing loss and also uses the amplifier so my dad can turn down the speaker volume.

We now have a website redwhizz.co.uk
Digi-Whizz Headphone Amplifier.

What is wrong with you? Why are you letting your wife struggle trying to hear T.V. sounds? Can you let your wife, even your mother use the close captioned to watch the T.V. programs?

With the loss of hearing, you can not perfect the sound from the headphone amplifier. I don't know how much hearing loss your wife has. Did your wife and your mother go to the audiologist for hearing test to see how much hearing loss they have on the audiogram?

If your wife and your mother might have mild hearing loss and can possibly pick up the sounds but if it is beyond mild hearing loss like severe hearing loss, that would be impossible to pick up the sounds with the headphone amplifier. Don't make them suffer going through struggling with trying to hear words on the headphone amplifier. Let them be at ease with close captioned which would help them understand what the people on the T.V. say.

If you are planning on having them to hear sounds without the accommodations to ease their suffering, then you are wrong for doing this to them. Hearing people expect us to listen with sounds which we could not pick up at all. Late deafened might try to do that but they also failed to pick up sounds. That is why we struggled with hearing people who have no idea what deafness is like. They think they know everything about deafness. You have never experience being Hard Of Hearing or deaf. So don't go there every time you think they should be able to hear sounds with the headphone amplifier. I am just disappoint in you. :(

What is wrong with you? Why are you letting your wife struggle trying to hear T.V. sounds? Can you let your wife, even your mother use the close captioned to watch the T.V. programs?

With the loss of hearing, you can not perfect the sound from the headphone amplifier. I don't know how much hearing loss your wife has. Did your wife and your mother go to the audiologist for hearing test to see how much hearing loss they have on the audiogram?

If your wife and your mother might have mild hearing loss and can possibly pick up the sounds but if it is beyond mild hearing loss like severe hearing loss, that would be impossible to pick up the sounds with the headphone amplifier. Don't make them suffer going through struggling with trying to hear words on the headphone amplifier. Let them be at ease with close captioned which would help them understand what the people on the T.V. say.

If you are planning on having them to hear sounds without the accommodations to ease their suffering, then you are wrong for doing this to them. Hearing people expect us to listen with sounds which we could not pick up at all. Late deafened might try to do that but they also failed to pick up sounds. That is why we struggled with hearing people who have no idea what deafness is like. They think they know everything about deafness. You have never experience being Hard Of Hearing or deaf. So don't go there every time you think they should be able to hear sounds with the headphone amplifier. I am just disappoint in you. :(

He probably doesn't even have a wife with hearing loss. He is just trying to sell a product without paying Alex to advertise here, by pretending to have a conversation.

I definitely agree with the previous poster saying there is a need for captions. With hearing loss listening requires active focus which is very tireing. Nevertheless, if using assistive devices, they should be professional, not home made.

What I think has happened is that the OP and wife are older and have litte experience with hearing loss. A cookie bite audiogram is a very common type of hearing loss and should not provide any problems to an experienced audiologist. When first trying out hearing aids, the sound is harsh and unusual because the brain is not used to hear the new sounds that have been missing maybe for years. It is important to wear the new hearing aids all waken time so that the brain can learn how to interpret the new signals coming through the ear. If you don't use the hearing aids enough the sound will always be awful. More importantly, which hearing aids you choose is not as important as the competence of the audiologist. Modern hearing aids have a lot of adjustment possibilities and good audiologists are able to tweak settings so that the sound is more or less decent. Furthermore, beginning hearing aid users often over estimate how good the hearing can become even if the aids are fitted optimally. You don't get normal hearing and listening requires intense concentration. Hearing aids also don't filter sound very well, so instead of clear speech you get a sound mix where the speech mixed with all other surrounding sounds.

I would suggest: 1) use captions 2) find a better audiologist that knows how to tweak the settings optimally 3) Listen to the audiologists advice and USE the hearing aids enough.

After this you could add a TV-link that is developed by the hearing aid developer. At that time you might want to skip captions BUT many of us still prefer to use captions as well as a TV-link.

Hi Bebonang you make it sound as if I am forcing them to endure hardship. My wife has been to audiologists and has hearing aids but my Mother is 85 we have tried but she does not want to go for a hearing test.

My wife 'Sue' lost here hearing 16 years ago after contracting what we thought was flu. We were told by an audiologist in Harley Street London (private medical insurance) that it was hereditary which was strange as there were no problems before the illness.
I am 51 Sue is 48 and we have not found an audiologist in the UK who understands how to setup a hearing aid for this type of loss.
Looking at blogs in the US it seems there is also an issue with audiologists and this type of hearing loss.

I must agree with you Swedeafa Sue should probably persevere with the current aids for the brain to adjust but she struggles with the aids even though we have had several types and keep going back to get the adjusted.
Captions are certainly an option and I must admit some of the UK BBC drama's lately I have needed captions to here the dialogue.

Thanks

Last edited:
Back