New Here learning ASL NEED HELP WITH TNAV PLEASE!!!

Babycake

Reaction score
In this class I have chose to take this semester American Sign Language (ASL) I’ve really have had an eye opener on how the deaf culture really is it’s own culture here in the United States. Throughout the semester so far we have learned to finger spell 60 different words, learned about very informative educational history of ASL, and watched a few movies. We also spoke about many important topics like: misconceptions, deaf history, deaf communities, deafness, prejudices, as I will be explaining thoughout my paper.
In our class on February 14th, we went around in the classroom telling our thoughts “misconceptions” on what “deaf” or “deafness” means to us some of the misconception that students said and that stood out to me are: outcast, less intelligent, different education, have a hard time getting a job, speak a different language. I did not realize how many peoples actually have misconceptions about the deaf community until this class, I had know idea that all of these listed in some ways actually true. Most deaf kids do only go to deaf schools like Gallaudet University or Lexington school for the deaf to feel comfortable and some of them do have a hard time learning the English language which then leads to some of them being left back a few times or even dropping out of school. They speak their own language ASL so they can communicate with their families and peers here in the United Stated and I found it interesting that other counties around the world have there own type of ASL. A deaf person sometimes has a hard time finding a job and sometimes they are discriminated against for example: If a big company had a open position, they interviewed a hearing person and a deaf person with the same educational background most of the time they will pick the hearing person. This is really sad to me that there are actual companies that would do this to a person because a deaf person is still a person, still can perform the job the same as the hearing person, they are still are just as educated. Some deaf people do feel like outcast so they form and go to social clubs for the deaf, some of them only associate themselves with others that are deaf and stay within the a deaf community usually in the cities.
The movie that we seen in class called Love is never silent which is about a deaf mother, father and two hearing children one unfortunate is died in the movie. Children with a deaf parent or parents are called CODA which, means child of deaf adult. I felt like Margret’s’ mom never want her to grow up and become independent because she relied on her to communicate with so many different things in the hearing world. It was almost seemed like her mom was scared of the hearing world without her daughter beside her. Her mom seemed like she wanted her children to be deaf or maybe it is seems like she was upset a little that could not hear because their was a scene with music where her father wanted to know what music was and to learn to dance but her mother went crazy and pulled the plug out and told her to get it out of here. Towards the end of the movie, Margret did break the guilt she had with her parents and began to live her own life with a husband and a child of her own. If she didn’t break this guilt she would never be able to experience life and die alone. She needed to let her parents have their own lives and also, have one of her own because this was not healthy at all for her or anyone in this same sitituation.
We saw a music video clips on you-tube shown in class with a deaf singing group called Signmark a few of their songs were “Smells like victory” and “Against the wall” you really see how the deaf community is starting to take off not only here in the Unites States but all over the world hopefully in the future you will see more and more of the deaf community making their own songs too. This group I think is sending a message out in their own way basically saying that they are not different, they are like everyone else and there is no reason why they can’t be in more famous movies, singers, or even a scientist.

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Yep, we have hidden talents that you can never imagine. It just that hearing people in the society just don't think we have them. :(

I hope you enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

Back