New here and having parent questions

Ryan.h

Reaction score
Hi,

My name is Ryan and I have a step son that is 5. He has been Def since birth and recently got new HA and with hearing test it seems that he is able to hear at decibals over 60. The problem me and his mother are having is, although we know the simple signs to communicate with him, we don't know enough. Here in Indiana (Terre Haute) we can't seem to find any class's. We recently moved from Hawaii and when we would visit the Hawaii School for Deaf and Blind it was amazing how much sign he knows and it breaks our hearts not being able to help him with his ASL. Also we seem to be getting the run around getting him into school here. He was a student for 3 years at the deaf school in Hawaii, with current IEP. Any help would be amazing . thanks in advance.

Ryan

thanks for the info. we are located on the illinois border about 70 miles west of indianapolis.

thanks for the info. we are located on the illinois border about 70 miles west of indianapolis.

I'd see if maybe you could get him in at Indy School then....the buses might go out that far.... I know Illinois has dhh regional programs. Maybe if there's one near you, he could attend...and if you're near the border contact Illinois School for the Deaf to make sure you've got all your bases covered.

Illinois School for Deaf is close to St. Louis not Indiana.

I sometimes hang out in Chesterton, IN area. Maybe I'll run into you and help you with ASL.

Thanks for the information. He is meeting with an interpreter this week to see what the county can provide, just skeptical. I feel he would benefit much greater being at a DHH school as that is what he has been in for 3 years now. The move has been a number on us and i don't want him to have to suffer cause of it. Thanks Derek for the info and that would be amazing if we could get together sometime. I have searched for class's here locally and they seem to not exist even at the university. Closest one is an hour away and with work just doesn't seem like we can make it.

Illinois School for Deaf is close to St. Louis not Indiana.

I sometimes hang out in Chesterton, IN area. Maybe I'll run into you and help you with ASL.

Oh, OK ..... Just thought I'd pass on the info.....and YES what a great opperunity!

Thanks for the information. He is meeting with an interpreter this week to see what the county can provide, just skeptical. I feel he would benefit much greater being at a DHH school as that is what he has been in for 3 years now.
You're right......try your hardest to get him in at Indy School......It's awhile away.....damn I hope there's a dhh program so he doesn't have to go so far.

and Indy School is an excellent Deaf School, so it would be beyond worth it to attend.

Back