My son is Deaf, finally!

Miss-Delectable

Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YN5Fdz1En0]YouTube - My Son Is Deaf, Finally! (Subtitled)[/ame]

Interesting video to watch.

this video is popular and it was posted here. He had a CI himself and unfortunatley it caused some dead nerves in his half face.

He's a cool guy that i met him during our old school.

True. I have explained to some of my hearing friends about removing cochlea on hearing babies, they didn't get my point. I am so sending them this link via email, and hopefully they finally understand my point. :lol:

I am interested to notice someone with my same half face. I usually feel alone.

I am interested to notice someone with my same half face. I usually feel alone.

I had surgery on my right hearing nerve when I was 11 to remove a tumor. Because of the surgery the entire right side of my face is paralyzed. I can still see, but I cant blink, smile, etc

I remember seeing this video before. Remember that social worker or somebody came up and knocked door abour his son, turn out to be his dog. Good video though, make people think oppsite side.

I had surgery on my right hearing nerve when I was 11 to remove a tumor. Because of the surgery the entire right side of my face is paralyzed. I can still see, but I cant blink, smile, etc

Me too! The paralyzed side is the side I still see on. The left. My right eye is blind.

Cool to find other people have the same. :wave:

Wow... Just wow...
Being only one of two deaf (other is a uncle) person in the family, I totally understand how hard it is. But if I ever had a child, I'd NEVER want my child to be deaf!

So in my view, this couple make me sick to the stomach! Especially how he say it bother him so much that his son is hearing! His hearing family accept him as he is and raised him. Then he goes on and do the opposite with his son when he assumed his son was hearing.

That video just make me so sad.

The video isn't real story, they are trying make people understand in reverse order. Like putting CI on kids and ban them use ASL/other sign language.

Yes I remember when this was posted before, people were very shocked, but good video nonetheless

Wow

wow... Just wow...
If i ever had a child, i'd never want my child to be deaf!

So in my view, this couple make me sick to the stomach! Especially how he say it bother him so much that his son is hearing! His hearing family accept him as he is and raised him. Then he goes on and do the opposite with his son when he assumed his son was hearing.

That video just make me so sad.

i agree with you!!

i agree with you!!

You and RapidLamn don't get it.

It is a reverse role but to give you all an example of an idea what it is like to have a hearing dog or hearing "son" to change the hearing to deaf with the help of surgery. So does it make it all right that deaf children should have CI in their brain or cochlear while in surgery? Does that mean most hearing people think that CI is a miracle? Nope, it is not. It is only a device to hear sounds, not to listen. It is the same as hearing aid only it get better than the sounds from the hearing aid. It is still better to use hearing aid while being so young.

Yeah, it would be a dream that we would love to have our hearing child to be deaf just like deaf parents. Get it? You and RapidLamn would rather have deaf children to be like hearing just like hearing parents. You were allowed to put CI without the permission of the child's decision to have CI while we were not allowed to have our hearing child to become deaf.

We always watched a videos of reversal of what if in a deaf world or in hearing world. Like hearing school or deaf school or other public places. :roll:

Interesting video, but there is a debate surrounding the degree of fluency and the proper pronunciation of spoken language while using a CI as a young child vs. a person implanted at 18 years old (as the man suggested waiting until 18 years old).

Interesting video, but there is a debate surrounding the degree of fluency and the proper pronunciation of spoken language while using a CI as a young child vs. a person implanted at 18 years old (as the man suggested waiting until 18 years old).

Interesting too. My hub thinks getting a CI at the earliest age is the best. He got it in late 30's. He does not have a deaf accent according to my parents statements. SO What am I saying that anyone can speak with or without HA or CI only if they want to practice with. Relying on the technology is easier like TV remote controls.

off the point, shelia, i think it's funny in your last siggy that he jumped in the air and around like it's 360 degrees, look at the board with "360" on it.

I, too, was appalled about the video until the end...now do understand why he did it. He did a great job bringing out the issue and making people think and feel the anger about the subject. I concur with him on the cochlear implants issue -- although I have one, but I decided to get it at age 29. I've never liked the idea of having deaf children implanted at such early ages, yes, there are cases where it's been evident of success in understanding spoken speech and speaking as if hearing, etc, but still...I object to the idea of having kids under the age of 2 implanted. They don't have the opportunity to voice out their opinions and either reject or accept having CI's. I'd rather that it be waited until the child's old enough to really understand the situation and decide for him or herself.

OHMYG!!!! :shock:..

First I watched the start of video, and I felt so pissed off and wanted to hit his face! End of the video then I m eased! :ugh:

Last edited:
I am going to sit back with a beer for a long while and have a long think about this video. I am thinking of having one more child of my own. What would I do if the first doctor to see my child told me they were deaf? Surprised? yes Shocked? yes Angry? no .. upset? I don't know.
Here is where the thought becomes halted.
Why would I be upset? Well, I am hearing, I value my hearing. Would I be upset that my child would not be able to experience that?

My son was diagnosed with Tourettes. I was surprised, and dismayed, but not angry. It took adjustment to get used to the head bobbing/teeth clicking/tics. Then, it didn't matter. He was still my little boy. He still liked to draw dinosaurs. We still sit together to watch Full Metal Alchemist.

Would there be a degree of "deafness" that I would want to 'fix' in another child of mine? My girl and boy are 13 and 11 respectively. They are old enough to know that there are consequences to procedures, but to try to change an infant - that's an enormous responsibility. I was viciously opposed to circumcision for my son because I did not believe in mutilating him. Would I consider a CI mutilation?

This leaves me with a very uncomfortable feeling. Of course we cannot know what the future holds, we cannot plan for every circumstance. So many parents think, "Anything I have to do, I'll do it"

Perhaps, I would be sad, for a while. I would be sad that he/she would not experience the hearing world as I do; but since everyone experiences their own world differently, perhaps it wouldn't matter that he/she didn't hear what I hear. They would reach out anyway and it would still be my responsibility to tell them what they were reaching out for, and what it meant.

Yes, this requires thought.

I, too, was appalled about the video until the end...now do understand why he did it. He did a great job bringing out the issue and making people think and feel the anger about the subject. I concur with him on the cochlear implants issue -- although I have one, but I decided to get it at age 29. I've never liked the idea of having deaf children implanted at such early ages, yes, there are cases where it's been evident of success in understanding spoken speech and speaking as if hearing, etc, but still...I object to the idea of having kids under the age of 2 implanted. They don't have the opportunity to voice out their opinions and either reject or accept having CI's. I'd rather that it be waited until the child's old enough to really understand the situation and decide for him or herself.

:gpost: :gpost: :applause:

Back