My recent home visit 5/30/14 to 6/1/14

ChicagoBlue2

Veteran Traveler
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have returned back to Chicago, but I got in very late last night, as Train #392 got held up at University Park (Metra Electric) due to an medical emergency, and I didn't get back here until after midnight. Anyways.... here are some pictures I took while I was there:

These were taken while fishing at Sam Dale Lake last Saturday. The last one is a sunset.

This is a sunrise-- just after 6 AM on May 31st.

These two are buildings that have been around for many years. These were here well before I was even born, and are still standing today.

This is called "Grandma's Kitchen". This place has been in operation for more than 45 years, and was here before I came into this world. They don't accept debit or credit cards, but do accept checks.

I hope you enjoy these photos.

Welcome back to Chicago! Nice pictures. What did you do while you were there?

Welcome back to Chicago! Nice pictures. What did you do while you were there?

Went fishing, and my Dad did some yard work yesterday just before the thunderstorm came through. When we went back to Effingham so I could board the train, we saw 4 poles with 3 lines of 2,000+ volts knocked over, blocking a road, and either a tornado or really strong winds knocked those down.

I have returned back to Chicago, but I got in very late last night, as Train #392 got held up at University Park (Metra Electric) due to an medical emergency, and I didn't get back here until after midnight. Anyways.... here are some pictures I took while I was there:

These were taken while fishing at Sam Dale Lake last Saturday. The last one is a sunset.

This is a sunrise-- just after 6 AM on May 31st.

These two are buildings that have been around for many years. These were here well before I was even born, and are still standing today.

This is called "Grandma's Kitchen". This place has been in operation for more than 45 years, and was here before I came into this world. They don't accept debit or credit cards, but do accept checks.

I hope you enjoy these photos.

Grandma is living in the past a lot of people do not use checks today.

Nothing wrong with using checks...

I still use checks- Not as often but one of my bills requires the use of checks so don't knock it.

Nothing wrong with using checks...

I still use checks- Not as often but one of my bills requires the use of checks so don't knock it.

I am not knocking checks , I still use them , but a lot of people only use debit or credit cards today . Some people do not carry a lot of cash or checks on vacation so Grandma could be losing business by not taking debit or credit cards , she is way behind time.

I am not knocking checks , I still use them , but a lot of people only use debit or credit cards today . Some people do not carry a lot of cash or checks on vacation so Grandma could be losing business by not taking debit or credit cards , she is way behind time.
TCS doesn't take cards in his business either; just checks or cash. It's worked well for him, and he doesn't have to pay the card fees.

Not really.

I have a friend who does not have credit cards... they do use debit cards but prefer cash and have used checks more often than not. She and her hubby are younger than I am. I wouldn't consider them behind the times.

TCS doesn't take cards in his business either; just checks or cash. It's worked well for him, and he doesn't have to pay the card fees.

I thought there weren't any fees to businesses when debit cards are used; after all my debit card is tied directly to my checking account.......:hmm:

I thought there weren't any fees to businesses when debit cards are used; after all my debit card is tied directly to my checking account.......:hmm:

There is. I had to bring my debit card along instead of cash; it's much easier to keep track of where I'm at with my bank app, and knowing exactly what I can and cannot spend how much of. My largest purchase was just under $45; I couldn't risk spending more than that.

:ty: for sharing the pictures. Did you eat at Gramdma's?
That place reminds me of a little place we stopped at when my parents and adult family friends went camping also, some years ago, and went through the UP<Upper Peninsula> and stopped at this little place that was really different and seemed like it had its own unique style. We ordered breakfast and they brought us boxes of cold cereal and jugs of milk <I drank milk than> and one of the staff came and hung out with us and talked about where we were traveling.

I especially like the sunset/rise pic's

:ty: for sharing the pictures. Did you eat at Gramdma's?
That place reminds me of a little place we stopped at when my parents and adult family friends went camping also, some years ago, and went through the UP<Upper Peninsula> and stopped at this little place that was really different and seemed like it had its own unique style. We ordered breakfast and they brought us boxes of cold cereal and jugs of milk <I drank milk than> and one of the staff came and hung out with us and talked about where we were traveling.

I especially like the sunset/rise pic's

Yes, I did. I requested to eat there, as it had been more than 12 years since the last time I did.

I don't know how the processing service is charged. :dunno:

yeah, Chicago, most towns do...
but happy for you the restaurant did not!

We have a few stores that do not take checks anymore , people where using rubber checks. That soiled it people like me , I had never bounce a check.

Back