Mom to 4 youngest is HH

Marci

Reaction score
My name is Marci, I have four kids 12,6,4,7mo my youngest is HH. He has profound loss in his right ear and moderate in his left. When he was first diagnosed he was moderate sloping to severe in his right ear and mild in his left. When I first went to the pediatric AuD I was really expecting her to say profound in both ears, he wasn't startling to the loudest noises and having my kids and nephews be as crazy as they are. I was excited he had good hearing to work with, but still decided to take ASL classes. I am SO GLAD I already started them. I start my second semester at the community college in a couple of weeks. I have a Deaf tutor who comes to the house to help my kids and my nephews to learn sign. My husband isn't really on board with signing yet, but I did get him to learn the alphabet. So baby steps! My kids are picking it up quite well, and that is exciting. My goal is to have him signing well and be able to read lips that way if the left ear continues to progress he will be in great shape for communicating.

I look forward to getting to learning more about the Deaf HH community and getting more perspectives!

I was excited he had good hearing to work with, but still decided to take ASL classes. I am SO GLAD I already started them. I start my second semester at the community college in a couple of weeks. I have a Deaf tutor who comes to the house to help my kids and my nephews to learn sign. My husband isn't really on board with signing yet, but I did get him to learn the alphabet. So baby steps! My kids are picking it up quite well, and that is exciting. My goal is to have him signing well and be able to read lips that way if the left ear continues to progress he will be in great shape for communicating.
WELCOME!!!!!!!! It rocks that you're going to do ASL with your HOH kid!!!! He'll be MUCH better off overall with two languages.....and it does seem like deaf ed is turning into severe HOH ed right now. I met a deaf class before Christmas where the kids were very orally skilled. I also know from my friends who teach at schools for the deaf, that many of their students are orally skilled. Just telling you that so you know that orally skilled kids are accepted in deaf ed/deaf community. .....Are you guys hooked up with your State's School for the Deaf yet? I know it's still very early (son's not even a year old) but they might offer some stuff..... What about American Society for Deaf Children? American Society for Deaf Children - Home

Back