Medical Student trying to improve awareness of SSD

kluke89

Reaction score
Hello from the UK!

My name's Luke, and I am currently a medical student at Cambridge University. I've just learnt BSL Level 1 (not ASL - unfortunately!) to help me communicate with patients better, and it has recently occurred to me people with Single-Sided Deafness (SSD) tend to get somewhat overlooked.

I am therefore doing a project aimed at improving awareness of the rather unique challenges people with SSD face. If clinicians can better understand what it's like to have SSD, then their experiences in hospital can be greatly improved whether they are in for a hearing-related condition or not.

So far I've gone into quite a lot of detail about the neurology, and how it makes sound localisation extremely difficult. However, I'd really appreciate personal accounts of what it's like to experience these challenges (to save the presentation from turning into a lecture!). I know there are a few accounts posted on blogs out there, but it's very personal information and I'd feel a bit hesitant about lifting their text without their permission!

So yer, if you have SSD and a couple of minutes to spare, I'd be extremely grateful to hear what you have to say. If there's anyone who lost their hearing in one ear suddenly; or is used to having SSD and has had a BAHA fitted, that would also be fantastic :)

Thanks very much,

Luke

Back