Making Music with a Hearing Loss: Strategies and Stories

kokonut

Reaction score
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Making-Music-Hearing-Loss-Strategies/dp/1456586386/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309051844&sr=8-1"]That book is finally available in Amazon[/ame]. I'll be getting a free copy of it since I'm one of the several deaf/hh musicians that were interviewed for that book.

There are many texts on music and hearing loss, but what makes this volume unique is that it does not require the reader to have any previous background in hearing science. It is written in non-technical language for the layman, and begins by explaining how the human ear hears sound. It covers the interplay between music, speech and hearing devices and discusses hearing conservation for musicians. The final chapter contains inspiring narratives from eleven deaf or hard of hearing musicians belonging to the Association of Adult Musicians with Hearing Loss. These eleven stories describe using a variety of strategies to integrate hearing loss and music making. Musicians new to hearing loss, hearing-impaired adults wanting to learn a musical instrument, audiologists, music educators, and music researchers will also find this book a valuable addition to their library collection.

It has been almost two years and now it's here.

Exciting! Bet you can't wait to read it. Do you know the other musicians interviewed?

Yes, exciting and encouraged that this awareness of deaf/hh musicians is being elevated. As to you question, I know them online but have not met them in person....yet. My interest is to find deaf/hh pianists.

Hi, Im not a MUSICIAN per se, but i created 70+ songs using Fruity Loops Software. The only problem with this is that, being deaf it is hard to work out which intruments should be louder and which should be softer to create a perfect balance. Note harmony does my head in sometimes.. lol

Back