Looking for the deaf community in the Joplin, Missouri/ Miami, Oklahoma area.

watcher

Reaction score
Hey people, I'm new to alldeaf.com and I've been living in the tri-state corner of northeast oklahoma for the last 10 years since I left Tulsa and I have probably seen no more than 5 deaf people (not even a community) out here in that length of time. Oh and let me add: Five.... as they came and went. I'm guessing the area is not too popular of an attraction for the deaf community lol. Unfortunately I have to say it is also not too deaf friendly, which sucks for a guy that grew up in the deaf community lol. I have been "hearing" that there are a few deaf folks out here but have not actually met any. A few months back my wife and I along with the kids went to the Joplin Northpark mall on a Saturday as we do occasionally and much to my surprise there was a rather large group in the food court area. I had an urge to introduce myself but some of the folks in the group were telling each other about "that weird guy staring at us." and I didn't want to walk up and make them feel bad since I knew what was said lol. But since then I have not seen the group return.

Back