Looking for advice

Yogi Bear

Reaction score
Hi I am not hearing impaired but my girlfriend is. She lost her hearing at age 17, it returned 2 years later when she was 19 and stayed until she was 25 she is now 49 and it has not returned though she is still hopeful. Her hearing loss is in both ears and she is reluctant to have CI surgery. Is there anyone out there who can tell me how I should deal with this, I am ok if she tries it and it does not work but I really would love to be able to talk to her as we drive and right now that's impossible.

Well, I am sure you 2 can manage it on your own. There are so much to do on Bahamas island. Just go out and have fun!!!

She should visit and discuss with an ENT surgeon whether she is "suitable for a Cochlear Implant". Not every one is.

Yes, most ENT's do free consultations for you. I would go talk to one. They're going to be the ones that can answer any and all questions that come up or doubts she could have. Again, like phil said, she might not even be suitable for it, not everyone is. She may just need a H.A. or something simple. =P

She should visit and discuss with an ENT surgeon whether she is "suitable for a Cochlear Implant". Not every one is.

That info is the experience of Sunnybrook/Toronto Cochlear Implant section since 1984. Reviewed 3000 referred patients of which 1000 were "suitable". of that 18 didn't benefit from thier Implant. Aside I am one of the 1000.
Info confirmed today-meeting with the audi- 6 year review.:wave:

I agree with having a professional access her. But also, the CI is SUCH a personal decision. If she's unsure about the surgery let her get her own information and really want it. I lost the majority of my hearing between age 19 and 21... and I'm getting a CI on November 1st. I know the side they are implanting has profound loss with 10-13% speech recognition... hell - if I loose 10% when they do the surgery and it fails that's not hard to loose. However if she got her hearing back after loosing it before - if she could gain back natural hearing? Even if that feels totally unlikely after so many years I'd be nervous too. The surgery destroys the cochlea and any chance at natural hearing again. Maybe if you're interested in trying it try just one side so future advancements either naturally or surgically can be made? It depends on the kind of loss, if she'll be a good candidate though. Good luck!

I was advised over 6 years ago-one can't back to "whatever small amount of hearing one had PRIOR TO THE OPERATION. The operation is permanent. The actual statistics of the centre shows a few don't benefit. aside:Sunnybrook/Toronto 18 out of 1000 implant since 1984. I was part of the 1000.
aside: I was bilateral DEAF since December 2006-still true today.

Back