Look At Me, Not My Disability!

Jiro

If You Know What I Mean
Premium Member
Reaction score
tzvika1.jpg

January 5, 2011 – “About two months ago, Tzvika was run over by a lawn mower and suffered severe damage to her shell and a spinal injury that affected her ability to use her rear limbs. The wheels, attached by veterinarians at the safari, elevate the turtle to keep the shell from being worn down and enable her to walk.”

roboticpants2.jpg

December 16, 2010 – “A man who suffers paralysis in his legs demonstrates the ‘Rewalk Exoskeleton’, which enables wheelchair users to stand, walk, and climb stairs, during it’s European launching by the Step by Step Foundation in Hospitalet de Llobregat, near Barcelona, northeastern Spain, on December 16, 2010.”

agentorange3.jpg

December 17, 2010 – “Nguyen Thi Ly, 9, who suffers from Agent Orange disabilities, in her home in Ngu Hanh Son district of Da Nang, Vietnam.”

wheelchairjumping4.jpg

November 17, 2010 – “Joelene Van Vugt of Canada, Erik Roner of the USA and eight friends perform some extreme skydiving manuevers with a wheelchair to launch their extreme sport ’2011 Nitro Circus Live New Zealand Tour’ on November 16, 2010 in Matamata , New Zealand. “

bogota5.jpg

September 6, 2010 – “Edward Nino Hernandez, left, walks with his eleven-year-old brother outside their home in Bogota September 6, 2010. Edward, 24, is 2 ft 3.46 inches tall.”

paralympics6.jpg

September 15, 2008 – “Lucas Prado (L) of Brazil celebrates with his guide after winning the final of the men’s 200 metre T11 classification event at the 2008 Beijing Paralympic Games in Beijing on September 13, 2008.”

Gotta love photojournalism. There's a lot more inspiring photographs out there.

That was just so heartbreaking. I couldn't even begin to imagine as a parent the emotions of those 5 days.
Oh yeah. My eyes were welling.

Sorry to have done a minor hijacking of the thread, but wow on the Thomas story.

:DI so much agree with the headline of this post!
People -or other beings - are THEMSELVES first - not the disability, or perceived disability or condition.

Those pictures are good example. One of my coworker who lose both legs in Iraq war, he walk normally but use fake legs and a cane to support his balance. I look at him as person not disablity.

Back