Irene's Impact In Photos

You may share any images of Irene aftermath in your state.

I saw this in one of these photos -> "Irene you have no reservation"

:laugh2:

yeah that was a nice bit if humor there...
I do wonder what happened to the various people in the photos....

The picture of the Sunset Grille (with all the windows boarded up and palm trees bending in the wind) in in Duck, about 20 miles or so up the highway from our place in Nags Head. It's in the northern part of the Outer Banks beaches.

The picture of the pier with the waves coming up in the middle I believe is the newly-reconstructed Jennette's pier in Nags Head.

The one of the two houses with siding being ripped off is definitely Nags Head, very close to us. That is right next to the beach access where we usually go. Those two houses are ocean-side; the picture is looking west, toward the beach road. Our house is about 1/4 mile north of that, off the Bypass (Bypass is slightly west of the beach road). That picture is why I'm scared about what we'll find - although I know our house was well-built.

The picture of Pamlico Jack's, with the flooded parking lot - that is one of our favorite restaurants. It is on the Bypass, about 1/2 mile from us. If they are flooded...well, they are on the same plane we are (same distance between Sound and ocean). I think we are on *slightly* higher ground, though not by much (if any).

All those pics are in the earlier part of the set; looks to me like after that most of them are from northwards of us, although the one guy kneeling by his car - that might be on Hwy 12 on Hatteras Island, not sure.

thanks for explaining those pictures, Beach Girl! I wondered if you knew any more about them. Am sorry to read about one of your fav. restuarants:(

I hope that the photos do not represent the state of your home!
Good Luck:aw:

thanks for explaining those pictures, Beach Girl! I wondered if you knew any more about them. Am sorry to read about one of your fav. restuarants:(

I hope that the photos do not represent the state of your home!
Good Luck:aw:

Yeah, me too!

Re: Pamlico Jack's, it looks like it's just the parking lot that was flooded, and somebody lost their car, for sure, with that much water in it. The restaurant itself is built on pilings and is above that water level. Probably once the water goes down they'll be ok; I don't recall that they had much on ground level - maybe a storage room.

Looking again at the picture of Pamlico Jack's - see that little structure beyond the cars, the green roof coming out of the water? That is a produce stand. So the water there is about 6 feet deep, I'd guess.

Girlfriend in North Carolina made it through okay. Girlfriend in New Jersey not so lucky. Basement flooded. Furniture and carpets ruined. Big tree fell but did not his house. She is thankful she and husband okay. Unharmed. Still have not hear from girlfriend in Cape Cod.

:aw:best wishes for both your Cape Cod friend and also your N.J. friend with the basement flooding!

Wirelessly posted (sent from a smartphone. )

Wow lot of flooding!

This one is impacted me, and I did crying over this because I did drive through the bridge few times.. Its so beautiful and now its gone! :cry:

I think its 150 years old!!! :( :( :( :(

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyO18one8fU]Lower Bartonsville Covered Bridge collapses into the Williams River in Vermont - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkKrREAQZY8]Lower Bartonsville Covered Bridge about 3 pm Sunday - YouTube[/ame]

Bartonsville Bridge

bartonsville007.jpg

bartonsville001.jpg

Hurricane Irene sure kicked some butt. Thanks for the link. When I heard rain predictions, I knew east coast was in big trouble and I was right.

The Bartonsville Covered Bridge was a wooden covered bridge in the village of Bartonsville, in Rockingham, Vermont, United States. Built in 1870 by Sanford Granger, the bridge was a lattice truss style with a 151 foot span across the Williams River. The bridge is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

It was located on Lower Bartonsville Road, a paved road a short distance north from Vermont Route 103. Nearby, to the east, is the Worrall Covered Bridge, also built by Granger.

On August 28, 2011, the bridge was destroyed by flash flooding related to the landfall of Hurricane Irene on the U.S. east coast

Back