Introducing myself

Ruth Real Estate

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am from the Greater Toronto Area in Ontario, Canada. I am a CODA; my parents are both Deaf and active members of the Deaf Community. In fact my father was responsible for helping closed-captioning to be mandatory in Canada for certain stations and also we had the first TTY in Ontario. I am now a Real Estate Agent with RE/MAX and I work with the Deaf Community as well (my logo is actually the sign for "house"). I do not use interpreters; I simply am fluent in ASL. I know the real estate process can be confusing for hearing people, never mind people with a language barrier. If you have any questions regarding real estate, please feel free to message me, I would be more than happy to help. There is no obligation to use my services, this isn't an advertisement, I just want to be available as a resource for everyone, as someone who grew up in Deaf Culture.

HI Ruth
I am new here too. I'm deaf but what does CODA mean? That's great that your father is involved with getting captioning on Canada stations. I need captions for TV and the phone ( I use Captel) I did use a TTY way back when lol.I have no real estate questions now. I just wanted to say hello.
-Betsy

Welcome to AD :) That is wonderful! CC would be amazing all across Canada. I'm not too knowledgeable if BC has it... but I'm slowly learning.

Question for you Ruth real estate. I was just told that my damage to my ears is irreversible and subsequently am now deaf. I work in real estate in Pennsylvania. Any pointers on how to move forward? I don't know sign language yet. I am horrible at reading lips. I'm curious as to how I make the right steps moving forward.

:wave: I can't believe people on a deaf site don't know what a CODA is..... Anyway...... :welcome:

:wave: I can't believe people on a deaf site don't know what a CODA is..... Anyway...... :welcome:

some of them are late deafened or separately (in hearing world) from Deaf world so they do not know what CODA stands for. I made sure to teach them that my kids know that they are CODA.

some of them are late deafened or separately (in hearing world) from Deaf world so they do not know what CODA stands for. I made sure to teach them that my kids know that they are CODA.

I was born deaf, so I suppose I am quick to throw a :roll: out there. However, most people I interact with still know what a CODA is. :cool2: I guess they're just cool like that. :P

I was born deaf, so I suppose I am quick to throw a :roll: out there. However, most people I interact with still know what a CODA is. :cool2: I guess they're just cool like that. :P

Good! :D Some of my siblings dont know what CODA was. gosh. haha

Back