Introducing myself and asking advice.

lfrazier83

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a 28 y/o student in Ohio. My husband is HH. I have a throat condition that makes speaking very painful. I am capable of speech, and I sound fine, but it is certainly not pleasant.

A relative of mine, who works with Deaf children, recommended learning ASL. I thought this was a wonderful idea and I am currently enrolled in classes through my local college.

One of the requirements of the class is to interact with the Deaf community. Here is where I get nervous. Obviously my signing is still in its infancy, and carrying on a conversation would be difficult. My self esteem is not always at its best and I can be easily discouraged. I am extremely afraid of offending someone in spite of my efforts to show respect.

My question is this: How good should my ASL be before I attempt to try ASL with a real person?

Side note: If anyone has an iPhone, iMac or iPad2 and wishes to FaceTime for some ASL practice I would be very willing to participate! Other forms of video communication would also be acceptable.

Last edited:
I have a MacBook Pro with FaceTime if you would like to arrange a date and time. I'm hearing, but have been learning ASL for 4 years. I have gotten out of practice lately because my only deaf friend moved away and doesn't have a computer to video chat with.

just go for it hun sometimes you got tread on toes to find out if got corns,it only way to learn

just go for it hun sometimes you got tread on toes to find out if got corns,it only way to learn

Oh, boy. Are you sure you are that drunk when you make comment or quote. :lol:

You sound like you were talking about your corns under your foot and tread on toes to find out. Then you say that is the only way to learn. I don't understand your comment. It has nothing to do with ASL or someone who is new wanted to have technology to communicate with. So what gives, caz12? :hmm:

i saying dont be afraid to make mistakes only way to learn even if she find it painful at first.people have thick skins,and should be polite if she struggle..
i taken people to deaf club before and who i ever taken has thought we rude but not the case after a time of going they become comfortable and everyone happy,that the theary

i saying dont be afraid to make mistakes only way to learn even if she find it painful at first.people have thick skins,and should be polite if she struggle..
i taken people to deaf club before and who i ever taken has thought we rude but not the case after a time of going they become comfortable and everyone happy,that the theary

*peeking at my "tootsies" (toes) *and thanking the good man upstairs that I don't have any corns or callouses....just 1 ingrown toenail...:giggle:....

Back