intro

Quilter

Reaction score

Hi!
Although I am new here, I have not been a part of a deaf community since I was a child. I live in western Massachusetts, was born deaf and wear hearing aids. I never learned sign language mostly 'cause as a child--was told not to as it wasn't the thing back in the 60s. Yeah, I'm almost 47 years old in a couple of weeks.
I've had my share of difficulties--employment troubles, frustrations with my husband over misunderstandings, etc. I even live in a town with a Willie Ross School for the Deaf, but would love to meet up with any person around my age for discussions and perhaps even to learn a few signs. Just mostly to chat with and not feel so alone in my frustrations, is the main thing.
Andrea

Welcome Quilter!!!!! The Western MA area is VERY oral deaf friendly b/c of Clarke. I think there's a Deaf Club there, and you could join and learn ASL and meet other people. If I was still in WMA I'd come and visit you....I went to Westfield State for college.

Hi Quilter, my sister must be living close to you, she has your same age. No, my sister is not deaf but she knows ASL. She used to be a social worker/conselor working with Deaf clients in the past.

Welcome Quilter!!!!! The Western MA area is VERY oral deaf friendly b/c of Clarke. I think there's a Deaf Club there, and you could join and learn ASL and meet other people. If I was still in WMA I'd come and visit you....I went to Westfield State for college.

Holyoke Deaf Club? I was there and it was so small. Like it was hidden secret club which is impossible to locate. Ugh.

Thanks so much for the warm welcome! katz4life--who is your sister? I've never been a part of a Deaf club, so that sounds interesting.
Andrea

I don't think she is involving in the Deaf Community in Western Mass, but I will ask her this forwarding Xmas holiday. We are not that close due to the age gap -- she is 16 years older than I. She comes to visit here at our family home in Long Island 1-2 times every month. Her name goes by Frannie, I don't know what does her people in Mass call her, Fran, Frances, or Frannie or what else. She currently works two or three jobs, first one in the office at Westfield Airforce Base and second one as a guidance conselor at some middle or high school in Springfield.

Well, if you have Facebook, perhaps you should join in DNO Connecticut and DPHH/DNO Massachussetts. DPHH = Deaf Professional Happy Hour and DNO = Deaf Night Out. I am not sure if DPHH or DNO Worcester is still running. I will ask someone Deaf that I know from Springfield area...he told me that Worcester opened up last year. Boston is greatly running ever since. Springfield is supposed to open up, my friend told me. I dunno what's the update with that lately. As for DNO in Connecticut, it is variety of wherebouts inside and outside of Hartford. I was thinking about going there in Southington as of yesterday but I dropped it due to the budget reasons to which I plan to save for New Year's Eve event.

Back