Implant and/or Hearing Aids

antha71

Reaction score
I am trying to educate myself on the CI and aids since my last audiology exam, last month.

Little background: Was born with blood behind the ear drums and was not diagnosed until I was a little over 2 years old. (I have 2 grandparents that were born deaf and my father only has partial hearing, so it was assumed I was born deaf). Anywho, tubes to drain the blood and extensive speech therapy until 8 years old and I was sent on my way.

Fast forward almost 35 years and I have no hearing in my right ear and 40% in my left ear. After exam audiologist stated that *surgery* would be a better option but hearing aids would give me 4% hearing in my right ear and 50-60% in my left. And he stated that my speech shows that I have a hearing loss since I do not pronounce many words correctly. First time that has been mentioned to me.

So my question. Is it feasible to get a Cochlear in 1 ear and a hearing aid in the other? I have not been able to find any answers on websites that I find, but thats not unusual since I kinda suck at Googling.

I have insurance incoming in 2014, but none at the moment. Any help finding information to read would be helpful.

Thanks

Yes you can get a CI in one ear and wear an aid in the other. AB teamed up with Phonak so you could even get a CI for one ear and a Phonak Naida in the other and they could work together

Yes, you can have cochlear implant on right and hearing aid on left. I used to have right cochlear implant and hearing aid for the left. Later, I stopped using my left hearing aid because it was interfering with my CI. Took it off and I can hear better without my hearing aid. Strange even my audiologist reprogrammed my hearing aids 3 times

First make an appointment to "checked over" an ENT Doctor on the suitably of Cochlear Implant for you.
As you may be aware not everyone is "suitable" unfortunately. Start with the medical facts- for you.
Much success-hearing wise in the new years.

if you want to implant 1 ear and use a hearing aid in the other, nothing wrong with that. That's how I hear these days, left ear implanted and hearing aid in right. Consult with a CI center and go through the evaluation first, they'll be able to give you ideas and answer your questions.

I also use both a hearing aid and an implant.

The technical term for this is "bimodal" so if you want some more information, you can google that. There are quite a few of us. It has been working great for me, with a Phonak Naida HA and an Advanced Bionics implant. I had a similar hearing loss difference between my ears and I implanted the worse ear, no regrets at all.

Sure - you can wear an aid and have an implant

Let me just advise you that I was told NOT to wear the HA with the implant because new pathways were being created in my brain for the implant. And, your audiologist will ultimately be the one who yeahs this or nays it. I was to quit using both until I got used to the CI. Using both slows down your comprehension process because you literally hear the same thing two very different ways. I'm just suggesting you make sure this is what you desire. The CI sound will be - for me, I say voices (including barking) sound like quacking but most people describe the sound as robotic. My audiologist recently told me I must stop comparing the two sounds. It's very difficult for me to process sounds mainly through quacking... It's really weird and will take whatever adjustment period you need - may be months and it could be instantaneously.

I've only had the implant for two months, so this is still new and a bit confusing to me. In time (and while my last HA lives along with my dying and non-replaceable earmold) I will just be processing sounds through the CI.

Best of luck to you. Again, there is no reason you cannot use both. I do cheat - probably as my audiologist would frown upon) and use the HA just for a sanity break now and then.

Last edited:
Back