I Would Like To Immerse Myself Into Deaf Culture

aprilryan

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

My name is based on one of my favorite characters April Ryan from the video game, The Longest Journey. My nickname is Jess. I am hearing, but only recently came to realize how deaf culture and deaf people seem to be invisible in mainstream society. I am even taking an ASL class. In watching videos on deaf people and their culture, you guys seem to live life more fully than some of us who are hearing. I would like to get to know more deaf people in real life and get in touch with my cousin. She is deaf and while I didn't know ASL, we were able to communicate when we were younger. I lost the ability as I became more withdrawn (I am shy) and sort of distanced myself from her and others.

I hope to know some deaf people in my area South Jersey and beyond. I hope to fully appreciate and understand deaf culture. Thanks for reading.

South Jersey- you might be able to find Deaf events or get togethers in Philly.

:welcome:

Welcome!

I'm not from South Jersey but like DeafDucky said; you should be able to find a good amount of events there where you can experience our 'culture'.

As well as taking the ASL class, have you thought about asking your cousin to help you? Explain that you'd love to hang out but also improve your language skills.

Best of luck! :fingersx:

Back