I want to know more. :)

bekbek91

Reaction score
Hey guys :) I've been learning about Deaf Culture and I want to know real answers from real people. I can read all the articles about it in the world,seems having someone there seems more appealing to me. Anywho, I have a few questions that need answering. If anyone has time, please message me! :)

1. Do you consider yourself a part of the Deaf community?

2. What are some of the most annoying things that a hearing person can do or say (or has done or said to you) ?

3. I have noticed that people who have gone to mainstream school seem more conservative about themselves as opposed to people who have gone to residential schools. Is that just me? What do you think?

4. Do hearing aids help at all?

5. I've seen people cringe when I sign "CI". What do you think about it? Would you ever consider getting one? Why or why not? If you have one, has it made life a little better or worse?

These are just to get the conversation started. If you have anymore information that you feel needs to be heard, by all means, go ahead! I want to know :)

I suppose DEAF persons who don't use ASL or become "voice off"- would have "some Difficulty" in such a restricted social group.

As for "thoughtless" in social interactions part of the human condition-from experience over many years!

No comment residential/deaf school- wasn't DEAF back then.

Hearing aids as such do help-somewhat but of course, contingent on one's level of "loss".

I have had my Cochlear Implant almost 5 years now. Fortunately it has made hearing others a much better experience. No regrets in starting the process.

Some thoughts of mine- on your questions

1. Do you consider yourself a part of the Deaf community? I'm new deaf (aka have only been deaf for a little over 2 years. Im learning ASL and attempting to meet other deafies)

2. What are some of the most annoying things that a hearing person can do or say (or has done or said to you) ? Absolutely hate being treated like a dumb*** simply because I can not hear

3. I have noticed that people who have gone to mainstream school seem more conservative about themselves as opposed to people who have gone to residential schools. Is that just me? What do you think? Wasnt completely deaf in school but I did have complete loss in the right side. Overall my experience was Meh at best

4. Do hearing aids help at all? Not for me, both hearing nerves are dead

5. I've seen people cringe when I sign "CI". What do you think about it? Would you ever consider getting one? Why or why not? If you have one, has it made life a little better or worse? N/A

Back