I really like sign language

miki83

Reaction score
I'm a 19 year old female college student, from Bosnia. I have good hearing and I want to learn only because I find sign language to be very fun and I'm quite intrigued by the deaf culture. I've been learning basic words and expressions for a year now and I would really like to know enough to one day to be able to Skype with you guys and learn even more trough interaction.

I would like to learn ASL online since I don't have any sign language classes available in my city or in the language of the deaf in my area, or even in cities near. Maybe one school in the capitol of my poor little country.
One day I intend to move to either US or Canada since I have lots of family there so learning ASL sounds like a good path.

I've recently found one ASL techer bashing another on YouTube. I use it for the most of my learning for now and I would like to know if any of you can tell the difference between a good and a bad sign language teacher. Can you recommend parts of the internet that will help me learn better?

How about the book called "Learning Sign Language" Used to sell those when I was younger, and it was about $90 back then. Today? No clue, as I haven't seen one of those books in many years.

Of course, things have changed since then, and there may be newer signs or whatnot. It's a good investment, though.

:welcome:

I would be suspicious of any ASL teacher who requires the students to:

1. interview deaf subjects online

2. gloss and perform songs in ASL

3. learn long vocabulary lists

And who doesn't include information on Deaf culture/history

Agreed. All these things are a must-do in order to better learn about Deaf Culture.

Back