I Don't Want To Use My Voice...

Status
Not open for further replies.

gi_bop

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am 20 and I started learning Asl last year. I grew up oral and now identify as Deaf. My family is hearing and I've been trying to teach them Asl. They know know only the basics... Barely. But I'm so impatient. I feel like they don't realize how much I want Asl to be my primary language... I don't like my voice. In fact I want to stop using my voice. I only want to use it for my hearing friends- who I don't expect to learn Asl. What are your thoughts on this? I don't know what to do. I'm frustrated...

I guess if everyone has a cell phone you can text to one another . I think you have a long wait for your family to learn ASL , they know you can talk and most likely find this easier to do than learn ASL. How about using ASL while talking , maybe your will pick up some ASL this way.

Maybe they would be willing to take an ASL class as a family or perhaps have a tutor come in one or twice a week to teach everyone.

I guess if everyone has a cell phone you can text to one another . I think you have a long wait for your family to learn ASL , they know you can talk and most likely find this easier to do than learn ASL. How about using ASL while talking , maybe your will pick up some ASL this way.

I agree. I have started signing while talking with my family and it has helped. My niece has really picked up on it and she is interested in going to deaf events with me now. My mom has started to at least finger spell so hopefully she picks up on more as well. Signing while talking will help you keep up with ASL and could trigger the importance of it to your family.

I agree. I have started signing while talking with my family and it has helped. My niece has really picked up on it and she is interested in going to deaf events with me now. My mom has started to at least finger spell so hopefully she picks up on more as well. Signing while talking will help you keep up with ASL and could trigger the importance of it to your family.
Kids are really good at picking up things fast. I really bad at spelling being dyslexia so I would being finger spelling backward ! LOL ! What do people do when they're
dyslexia ?

Depends on the family.. sometimes going voiceless for a period of time- say two hours a day or something will likely make them more aware of sign language. Doing voice and sign- the sign does tend to suffer a little if you do it that way. I would do the voice off but my parents are old- dad has trouble with his hands as it is (he still tries though which is good). Sister does pretty well with signing- as she took a class or two back in college.

Do what makes you comfy- you can read all the advice you want but in the end do what works best for YOU. The ideas of suggesting classes to family is a good one too. Set aside a time for practicing-- dinner time would be good if you eat together.

Hi everyone. I am 20 and I started learning Asl last year. I grew up oral and now identify as Deaf. My family is hearing and I've been trying to teach them Asl. They know know only the basics... Barely. But I'm so impatient. I feel like they don't realize how much I want Asl to be my primary language... I don't like my voice. In fact I want to stop using my voice. I only want to use it for my hearing friends- who I don't expect to learn Asl. What are your thoughts on this? I don't know what to do. I'm frustrated...

Is it just your family or are there other people who you're having challenges with?

Try not talking at all to them. When they ask you a question only sign to them. When this happens they will think that now it is a necessity. Send them videos from YouTube of good sign language lessons.

Also, so you have a Skype? I'm not deaf but my hearing is slowly fading. I am learning ASL and it would be nice to have someone help me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back