HTC EVO buried in snow all night and it survived!

purplecatty

Reaction score
Couple days ago (1-20-11), It was freezing out and 6 inches of snow on ground. I was working all day outside (walking through neighborhood) and my phone hostler along with HTC EVO fell out of my pant waist and felt a solid thump on my knee. I turned back and looked around what's that and I don't see anything on ground. I check my pant waist, realizing I lost my phone. Yike! I looked around where my fresh footprints on snow. I don't see ANY noticeable hole on fresh snow. I didn't have time to look for it because I have to keep going to get work done.

After work, I decide to return to same spot where I lost my phone under 6 inches of snow. I swept around the snow with my snowboot. No luck so far so I decide to go straight to Sprint store and asked them if they can locate my phone by GPS or Cellular location. They couldn't help me, :mad2: I went home and log in Family Locator under Sprint. It showed only .9 miles radius but does not pinpoint where my phone were. I have pretty good idea where my phone could be somewhere buried under snow. I watched news about weather forecast and it turned out that we may expect another big snowstorm coming on weekend. I was worried that I may never find my phone until snow melted!! It was freezing 10 degree overnight.

On next day, I was back on same location and during my lunch break. I went back to same spot and swept more area. Suddenly! I somehow kicked something and it popped out of deep snow and landed on mashed snow. I went YEEEAAHH!! and picked up EVO. I was expecting my phone be dead by then but it turned out that it only have 1/4 juice left! I texted my boss that I found my phone :giggle:

When I got home from work, I didn't plug charger to phone until 1 AM. It still have 1/4 juice left. I unplugged it from charger 7AM on 1-20-11 which is almost 3 days from fully charged to 1/4.

It is funny that it had been buried under snow for a day :lol:

Have anyone had lost their phone in snow, rain, or mud and still works! ??

Catty

You are lucky that your EVO works! Some iPhones have MobileMe which can help to find it with the new "Find My iPhone" app or online at me.com. Should add "Find my Evo" app in your device.

I fell in mud with my Blackberry in my hand one time. It was covered. My husband dug all the claylike mud out, but it really never worked right again.

When water was spilled in cup holder, and my Sk was in it. I didn't know till I reached the phone and I was like oh shit! So I went home, took battery out, and put the cell phone in bowl of rice. Let it dry for about 24 hrs. It works now just fine...it acted funny for a day or two. Whew cuz i don't want to shell out $ for a new phone. It happened in late fall. :roll:

God bless your EVO.. No, I have not loss my EVO yet. I just put it on my holster on belt.

But.. I heard couple were argued. She grabbed his EVO and threw it against wall during she was drunk. EVO's back cover flew. He put it back together. It's worked. No broke and No shatter glass. Next day, She apology for what happened. He forgave her.

You need protection case
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzLk6GfT97s[/ame]
http://www.goballisticcase.com/products/htc-evo-ballistic-hc-series-case

I went home and log in Family Locator under Sprint. It showed only .9 miles radius but does not pinpoint where my phone were. I have pretty good idea where my phone could be somewhere buried under snow.

install Lookout app 3 meter accurate

install Lookout app 3 meter accurate

OK I will check it out in Android Market.

I really hate trying to guess where my phone was if I lose it. My daughter's Rant Touch was a bit more accurate than my EVO :lol: When I use Family Locator, checking out where my daughter was, it was about 14 meters (close to 50 feet radius). It wasn't that bad but with EVO, .9 miles is really big area and won't be able to locate phone at all!! Luckily, I felt solid hit on my knee while walking so I knew it must have fallen near where I walked. If I hadn't felt it, I would have to borrow my dad's Metal Detector to find it :lol:

Catty

God bless your EVO.. No, I have not loss my EVO yet. I just put it on my holster on belt.

But.. I heard couple were argued. She grabbed his EVO and threw it against wall during she was drunk. EVO's back cover flew. He put it back together. It's worked. No broke and No shatter glass. Next day, She apology for what happened. He forgave her.

You need protection case
YouTube - Ballistic HC Series Case for the HTC Evo.
HTC Evo Ballistic HC Series Case - Ballistic HC (Hard Core) - HTC - HTC EVO - Sprint - Ballistic Cases

Xcellent for me if I am riding motorcycle and if it slipped out of my pant waist and get ran over by Semi Tractor, EVO would be safe :lol: (I doubt EVO would have survived that :lol: ). It looks more like Millitary or Industrial type hostler.

Catty

When water was spilled in cup holder, and my Sk was in it. I didn't know till I reached the phone and I was like oh shit! So I went home, took battery out, and put the cell phone in bowl of rice. Let it dry for about 24 hrs. It works now just fine...it acted funny for a day or two. Whew cuz i don't want to shell out $ for a new phone. It happened in late fall. :roll:

Yup, I've done that on old Mobilphone T-900 pager, I left it in pant and was in washing machine. Pager screen lit on and vibrating constantly. I had to take battery out then covers off then let it dry for a day then put it all together, it works fine.

:rofl:

Catty

You are lucky that your EVO works! Some iPhones have MobileMe which can help to find it with the new "Find My iPhone" app or online at me.com. Should add "Find my Evo" app in your device.

Yup, I would check it out as well. There's "find my phone" app in Android Market.

Catty

Yeah, I'm going to download that app in case I lose my Samsung Captivate, we never know. :) I think it's cool to able to locate your own phone for sure.

Back