How to listen to music, the best way?

NaidaUP

Reaction score
I am thinking about starting to listen to music, yes I have basically never done before.

I'm getting myself a ipod.
I can not now listen via direct input due to my integrated FM receivers.

What is better?
Icom (won't use it for phone)
Ipilot (won't use it for phone)
Direct input (just curious)
Neck loop (i personally find the t loop rubbish)

What do people think?

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

I use the DAI - there are a few options including "mic on","mic off" and one that does both.

I'd recommend the "mic off" (or combo) DAI shoe as it allows you to just hear the music.

The advantage is that it's a solid connection, not effected by lights(fluorescents), CRTs, movement etc.

Direct audio input is the best option, either with DAI leads or via an fm system. I use my Smartlink, but if you haven't got one I'd recommend using the DAI leads, they are much better than any t-coil method!

just take off the fm? Cause direct audio cable is amazing. For me, its either the cable, or my computer/car speakers.

Or you can just get LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL, music always sounds better then, even extremely shitty bit-rate music lol

Last edited:
I'm a band nerd, I can't live without music :p but before i got implanted on both ears, i wore headphones. The cheaper kind. I didn't have the expensive, fancy headphones that people are buying today. I liked the soft foams ones because when you have the headphones, the hearing aids presses up against your head which is uncomfortable and the hearing aid gives back feedback from being squished against your head with the headphones. So with the soft foam ones, its a lot easier, plus it was a little bit easier for me to hear the music. So, maybe try that? But I hated using the FM system for music, its crappy, and the signal always sucks for me. I never used the ICom, i rarely used it actually. I like using the ihome speakers, or my car speakers. But personally, I like using my CI personal audio cable. it doesn't give me static, its directly plugged into the device into the processors and it gives great sound quality.

just take off the fm? Cause direct audio cable is amazing. For me, its either the cable, or my computer/car speakers.

Or you can just get LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL, music always sounds better then, even extremely shitty bit-rate music lol

So there is a good chance I will hear music again? What about hearing my daughters playing the piano? That would be so awesome!!!!!!! I am getting a little excited about CI surgery:):)

So there is a good chance I will hear music again? What about hearing my daughters playing the piano? That would be so awesome!!!!!!! I am getting a little excited about CI surgery:):)

Yes, there is a chance.

No, music is not going to be as clear as it used to be. I don't know of anyone with a CI that can tell the difference in tones between 2 keys on the piano, but can tell on 3 or more keys. With me, I can start to tell the difference after the third key.

Still, it is a LOT better than my hearing aid.

If you can afford it, Smartlink is really good for music. I don't have Bluetooth from the IPOD to the Smartlink(that is the newer version), but I've heard it is not as good as wire. I do have Bluetooth from Smartlink to aid receiver and, as long as you are close or use the antenna, it has no interference.

Make sure you get a good headphone wire that is rugged (bought mine at Radioshack, the thin ones break).

Can't take off the FM without changing the battery draws everytime. Would get rather annoying. :)

can you use the FM to listen to your music? plug the transmitter into the ipod or whatever?

I am experience music awesome soft really skills impressive! lots of fun enjoy!

I love the neck loop the most as its very durable and doesnt break all the time like the earhooks i had

Just listen to the music through my hearing aid and not on FM (which I never use).

How to listen to music, the best way?
tunez2.gif
METAL: LOUDER THAN HELL!!!
tunez2.gif

Man...that'll make my ear ring! Loud enough already playing the piano. LOL

Yes, there is a chance.

No, music is not going to be as clear as it used to be. I don't know of anyone with a CI that can tell the difference in tones between 2 keys on the piano, but can tell on 3 or more keys. With me, I can start to tell the difference after the third key.

Still, it is a LOT better than my hearing aid.

I can tell the difference between two keys on a piano as well as half-steps. That could possibly be largely due to using AB's 120 channels which does give you greater pitch resolution, but I've also used MPS, which uses 8 electrodes across the 16 electrode array (which is what Cochlear currently does in a roving manner) but paired (two electrodes firing simultaneously.) The paired approach gave me fuller sound with more depth perceived. I did find music to initially be "faded" in pitch color with MPS, but after it settled in it filled out. I eventually went on to Hi-Res P which expanded upon MPS to use all 16 channels/electrodes in a Paired manner, which added to the resolution. Fidelity 120 expanding the 16 channels to 120 channels really went beyond.

Can you at least tell the difference when two adjacent piano notes are played at the same time if not separately?

I'm a band nerd, I can't live without music :p but before i got implanted on both ears, i wore headphones. The cheaper kind. I didn't have the expensive, fancy headphones that people are buying today. I liked the soft foams ones because when you have the headphones, the hearing aids presses up against your head which is uncomfortable and the hearing aid gives back feedback from being squished against your head with the headphones. So with the soft foam ones, its a lot easier, plus it was a little bit easier for me to hear the music. So, maybe try that? But I hated using the FM system for music, its crappy, and the signal always sucks for me. I never used the ICom, i rarely used it actually. I like using the ihome speakers, or my car speakers. But personally, I like using my CI personal audio cable. it doesn't give me static, its directly plugged into the device into the processors and it gives great sound quality.

I do encourage using direct-connect for music if you are implanted, just like you are using. It does give the absolutely best possible clarity and it's kinda cool considering the fact you are essentially plugging your hearing nerve into the music. Something to make hearing people jealous :)

Does anyone know how durable the dai cables are as i would love to give it a go as the magnetic interference on the train to work is terrible

Does anyone know how durable the dai cables are as i would love to give it a go as the magnetic interference on the train to work is terrible

I ended up getting the direct input leads for my Naida s and they are very good actually. Way better then the t coil. Will never change now. Luckily asked work to order me universal fm receivers instead of the Naida fm receivers. Now I have both options. Would really recommend get direct input leads.

Back