How to edit videos

Steinhauer

Reaction score
I wanted something better than Windows Movie Maker to make home movies, and came across virtualdub. Is anyone else familiar with it?

Welcome to virtualdub.org! - virtualdub.org

I was experimenting with attaching a camera mount on my motorcycle, and the result was a shaky video. So, I made a sturdier camera mount, and it was a lot less shaky, but still wasn't a steady video. So, I looked for a video stabilizer, and came across programs that cost over $200 just to stabilize video ... I didn't want to make a major production film ... just something for personal use. I found a program that can be used with virtualdub called deshaker :

Deshaker - video stabilizer

It is a really neat program .. all open source too. It takes a rather steep learning curve, anytime I am learning new software, it takes me a while to figure out what does what. I was able to take out, at a best guess, about 85% of the shakiness out of my original video - and crop it too, to remove the black borders. Here is the original video link - in all its shaky glory - and once the edited video is finished processing, I will follow up and post a link to that:

Carters Lake on Vimeo

Here is the edited version:

cartterslake cropped on Vimeo

No - its not perfect - it was my first attempt - but just wanted to share what this program can do to stabilize videos.

It can be used for quadcopter videos, or any other video that is shaky.

wow i can say thats quite an improvement, question is how did you mount your camera?

The next video I make will show how I mounted the camera. I used a Sanyo VPC e2100

maybe next video you use should be a Go Pro...

here's a video of an indoor go kart, lapping....(its a bumpy kart) but you can see how much better the result and even better with the deshaker...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SwLddcpVKo]Super Fast Indoor Go Kart Racing GoPro HD - YouTube[/ame]

gopros arent too expensive.....just ideas id probably will later on but im building a driving sim atm......

Back