How many hearing folk come to the Deaf community through roller derby?

AislinCade

Reaction score
Hi there! My name's Bri (short for Brianne), and I hail from Ontario, Canada. Six months ago I got involved with my local roller derby league, and one of my new league-mates is Deaf. Many of the women in the league have already learned ASL in order to communicate with her, and the league is going to be setting up an opportunity for newer members to learn it too. However, I never like to wait to learn anything, so I decided to go ahead and start learning on my own. So far all I know is the alphabet and how to say "I'm learning to sign" and "I know the alphabet," but more than just learning one of the languages of the Deaf community, I also want to learn about the Deaf community itself.

Just wanted to introduce myself before I start poking about the forums here. I appreciate that there's some easily accessible information for folk like me who are just starting to learn about the Deaf community. I'll try not to be obnoxious, but please forgive me if I do anything irritating. I don't mean to!

Thanks!

We have a deaf roller derby member here. I think her name is Laura.

Not sure if that is your team member.

Back