How do you tether your camera lens caps?

Reba

Retired Terp
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a better way to handle the lens cap for DSL cameras. I have a Nikon D3000, and my SIL has a new Canon (I forget the model right now). What is a more convenient and safe way to store the cap when it's off the camera? I don't always have a pocket available.

I've seen little stick-on tethers for sale but the reviews are very mixed for them. Some people love them, and other people hate them. The main problem seems to be the stick-on part doesn't stay stuck on.

Any recommendations?

My camera came with a tether build right onto it. It was an older model , I guess cameras are not made that way anymore.

I used one that had a velcro-like attachment, about the size of a button. It worked all right.

I'm looking for a better way to handle the lens cap for DSL cameras. I have a Nikon D3000, and my SIL has a new Canon (I forget the model right now). What is a more convenient and safe way to store the cap when it's off the camera? I don't always have a pocket available.

I've seen little stick-on tethers for sale but the reviews are very mixed for them. Some people love them, and other people hate them. The main problem seems to be the stick-on part doesn't stay stuck on.

Any recommendations?

I have used a number of the little stick-on tethers over the years. They generally seem to work pretty well; although I have on rare occasions had one come off. Not really surprising considering that my oldest lens was purchased in the mid 1970's.

Over the years I have put my own new replacement elastic on to keep the barrel end tight on several. Also, the last time I needed one I didn't want to wait for shipping and made one from narrow elastic found in my sewing supplies, heavy duty thread from the same source and some "Crystal Clear" Duck brand tape to hold it to the cap. It has worked as well as the ready made ones.

You not carry camera case with DSLR?

What Reba is referring to is used when you are actively shooting to keep the lens from getting something on it in between shots (but not long enough between shots to put back in bag).

I used work for Canon as tech for 7 years. Almost all lens' cap are missed.

Better way to homemade with fishing line. It's cheap and very strong.

I used work for Canon as tech for 7 years. Almost all lens' cap are missed.

Better way to homemade with fishing line. It's cheap and very strong.

Sounds good. But, in my case wasn't an option as I wanted something immediately and I don't fish; so naturally no fishing line on hand at the time.

If by "Almost all lens' cap are missed" you mean they didn't come in with lenses sent in for repair I think that was probably on purpose as people would fear that they would be lost during all the handling involved.

I have a few len caps that come with tether string that you can attached to the shoulder strap ring. Since the cap itself have ring in it, so you don't have to worry about the other kind that tape sticky thing attached to the lens cap. You know there are time when I was out in an extreme heat, the tape sticky thing start to "soften" and peeled off the lens cap easily. So, I ended up brought this kind: Lens Cap snap-on center pinch 67mm + Keeper Leash New on eBay! It come all different sizes.

I have a few len caps that come with tether string that you can attached to the shoulder strap ring. Since the cap itself have ring in it, so you don't have to worry about the other kind that tape sticky thing attached to the lens cap. You know there are time when I was out in an extreme heat, the tape sticky thing start to "soften" and peeled off the lens cap easily. So, I ended up brought this kind: Lens Cap snap-on center pinch 67mm + Keeper Leash New on eBay! It come all different sizes.
I might do that.

Back