Home Invasions

rockin'robin

Reaction score
In a standard home burglary, burglars only look for unoccupied homes to burglarize. In fact, they do not want to rob an occupied home and usually will avoid it at all costs as the risks and consequences are so much higher.

A Home Invasion is a home burglary intentionally conducted knowing the residents are present.

Home Invaders also often operate in groups as then they can then exert even greater control and dominance over their victims. While the risks are much higher for the Home Invader, so potentially are the rewards.

With the resident at home they can extract valuable information from them like credit cards and pin numbers, the location and combination to a safe, cash and jewelry. Also, they can extract the whereabouts of other valuables that may otherwise be impossible to locate.

Who is Typically Targeted for a Home Invasion?

In short, people who tend to be weaker or more vulnerable than the average person and people known to have large amounts of cash. Targets include those who will likely put up the least resistance and most often that is women, the elderly, people with handicaps, children and teenagers.

When Do Most Home Invasions Occur?

In the afternoon, 2:00 P.M. to be precise. At this time of the day, young children and mothers are often taking naps. The elderly also tend to nap around this time of the day. Husbands are generally at work and they most likely won't be home anytime soon.

In daylight hours the neighbors are often not at home either and during daylight the ones that are at home are not nearly as suspicious of someone approaching your house, especially if they are wearing a uniform. At this time of day, often people are outside in their backyard and often can't hear their front door being broken into. They unwittingly re-enter from via their back door and are confronted by intruders.

With that being said, Home Invasions DO OCCUR 24 HOURS A DAY so you must always be alert to the possibility. Home Invasions happen once every 12 seconds and it happens to 1 in 5 homes at some point.

How Do Burglars and Home Invaders Choose Their Targets?

By observing people. People are creatures of habit; they often leave home and come back at basically the same times day after day. For example, most housewives are at home alone all day, so Home Invaders watch the husband for a while and know when he is likely to be gone and for how long.

Home Invaders will often pose as delivery men or utility workers. Some even pose as police officers. They know that most people will readily open their doors for these type of people and if they won't, they know they can just kick open most doors in less than 1 second.

What Happens Once Inside?

The Home Invader PRESSURES and INTIMIDATES the resident for various information. They yell, they scream, they threaten. Should this not get them what they want, they may move on to physical violence, often taking the resident hostage. 38% of all assaults occur during a Home Invasion. Sadly, so do 60% of all rapes.

Once taken hostage and the crucial information has been extracted, victims are often gagged and bound. A gag is placed in or over their mouth to prevent them from making noise which may alert the neighbors. Their hands and feet are bound to prevent their escape or to prevent them from fighting back.

Reduce Your Chances of Being Victimized

• Don't answer or open the door unless you are certain of someone's identity. You can always ask for someone's identification and call their company to verify who they are.

• Use good quality window locks. Keep your windows locked at all times. There are also window locking devices that will allow you to open the windows for ventilation, but will prevent them from opening wide enough for anyone to get inside. Available at most hardware stores and locksmiths.

• Have high strength window protection film installed on all ground-level windows. With some brands, once installed, you can't even break the window with a hammer. Check the Yellow Pages or online for local dealers and installers.

• Install high quality door locks and deadbolts on all exterior doors. Make sure you use them even when you are at home. The best door locks are what's called: 'bump-proof' or 'pick-proof'. Available at most hardware stores and from all locksmiths.

• Reinforce all of your exterior door frames with a high strength steel strike plate. Home Invaders kick-in doors. 70% of all kicked-in doors happen because the door frame breaks. We recommend the Door Security Pro Door Security Guard. Not one door frame has ever failed when a Door Security Pro Door Security Guard was properly installed on it.

http://www.doorsecuritypro.com/home_invasions_article.html

Other thing you need to do is put in a steel framed door. Looks fine. The wood framed door can be kicked in way tooooo easily even with deadbolts on the door. I have seen a couple doors kicked out of their wood frames. Hell, my little brother used to be able to kick in a wood frame door.

i had rabbit(bunny boy)i could not here him thump but he sent this horrible vibration through house he slept by garage door i was told when he thump the street hear him.
one night someone tried break in via garage my husband heard it and got up to see this man trying get away he looked terrified..
alot people had been rob down my street that night...he was corned by neighbour who called cops on 999 call that was two years ago and we all still waiting for cops turn up

I have always wanted one of these doors

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkP1rA5Jhpw]www.astas.com - Worlds most secure steel door test - YouTube[/ame]

I too wish I had a door like that, but my door has a gun and a dog on the inside.

Well, Fire department aint getting in there... best door for drug dealers safe from a raid... and if you lock your keys inside, youre screwed...lol

Even worse, if there is fire and the latch in that door becomes stuck as defective.

Well, Fire department aint getting in there... best door for drug dealers safe from a raid... and if you lock your keys inside, youre screwed...lol

anyone who raids my home will find a new meaning up yours .... :shock:objects rammed right up there ..:giggle:

I got burgled years ago. I lived in a pretty rough area of town and had just bought a brand new Nintendo N64 ( you can see how old this is!!)
This local junkie guy saw me taking the box home, and when I was outside fixing my car decided to sneak in my first floor flat and grab it....
I heard the front door splinter when he'd kicked it in and I saw him coming down the stairs with it. He dropped the N64 and got away eventually, not after I'd managed to hit him a few times. I'm still surprised to this day he ran off, I'm not a violent person, but I think I did him a bit of damage, my knuckles hurt for a while afterwards
The weird thing was the door had totally splintered in two, the lock held, and the hinges, but the rest of it was matchwood. I went to the Police about it ( omitting the bit about me giving the guy a beating ) and they did nothing
Ever since then, I've either had secure doors or a dog.
A mans home is his castle, you break in, and if you get caught......

Back