HOH woman from DC

stacyp

Reaction score
Hello, everybody! Very nice to be here! :)

I am a 40-year-old woman who has just moved from NYC to DC. Around five years ago, I started losing my hearing. It is very hard for me to hear now if the speaker isn't looking at me, and I pretty much can't hear speech in large open rooms (like grocery stores or restaurants) or if there's music playing or background noise. If I'm in a car with someone, I can't understand them if the radio's on. It's gotten to the point where a couple of people have gotten frustrated with me and asked, "Are you deaf??" and it's made me feel really embarrassed and angry.

My mother and aunt are deaf. My mother can hear a little with strong hearing aids, and my aunt just got a CI. They both lost their hearing as young adults; nerve-based deafness runs in the family. I recently saw an audiologist and learned that I have significant high-frequency loss. At first I cried, but then I started learning everything I could about Deaf culture and history, and I now feel hopeful.

My mom and aunt never learned to sign, and I watched the profound isolation that caused. I'm determined to learn ASL, especially now that I live near Gallaudet! (I just moved here from NYC.) I am very interested in hearing your experiences there. I'm intimidated about going there, though -- afraid I might offend Deaf people or that I might not be accepted because I'm hearing. But if my family members are any indication, there will come a point when that's no longer true, and I want to have as many forms of communication available to me as possible.

I am also unable to afford the hearing aids my audiologist told me I need (open fit, digital, noise reduction.) My health insurance doesn't cover them. If any of you can recommend resources in the DC area that might be of assistance in getting them, I would be very grateful. I'm so frustrated every day, because they would make my life SO much better.

Anyway, hi, and I really appreciate any advice you can give!

Hi, Stacy. Welcome to the DC area. I'm very sorry for what you are going through, and I hope you find the resources you need.

I'm in Maryland, and I'm aware of this organization- DORS Home Page . I don't know where you are located in the DC area, but maybe you could start with DORS, and they can give point you in the direction you need? From my understanding, you can get assistance from them if you are currently working, but beyond that, I don't know much about them. Hopefully, that will be a good starting point.

Good luck!

Jen M. (I am hearing, but my boyfriend is deaf.)

:wave: I'm in my 30's and am losing my hearing.
I've felt happy participating in Deaf events.
My experience has been that if I'm open-minded and think beyond myself, want to learn and see the Deaf experiences and perspectives, I've been welcomed.

Hello everyone!! I am so sorry I disappeared. Thank you so much for your responses! I started a new job in DC and my life just became crazy. I went to the audiologist at Gallaudet on Monday and found out that my hearing loss has progressed to moderate. However, I am FINALLY getting hearing aids!! My friend's boyfriend is an audiologist in Dallas, and he's sending me a two-year-old, never-been-worn demo pair. They're ReSound Azures -- I guess the Alera replaced them, so now he doesn't need them anymore. Anyway, I'm so excited. I'm also starting ASL classes next week at the DC public library, and I've become friends with a couple who are both interpreters and have taught me a bit. Plus, I just found out that my new assistant for the summer courses I'm teaching is a Gallaudet student who was born deaf. So the day I get my hearing aids, start my ASL classes, and start teaching my summer writing classes, I get to meet him -- what a wonderful coincidence! We're emailing each other now to discuss how best to work together. Yay!!!

Back