HOH & Want to learn some ASL in GA

KimInGA

Reaction score
Hi all, my name is Kim. I'm 31 and I have Menieres disease, which is characterized by repeated episodes of fullness/vertigo/hearing loss. I was born hearing, but my first Menieres attack at the age of 28 left me with 75% hearing loss in my right ear. Several subsequent attacks have left me with 15% hearing loss in my left and 80% loss in my right ear.

When I first got my diagnosis, I was kind of in shock. And depressed. I don't even know anyone who is HOH, much less deaf. But Menieres is almost always progressive and it's already done some damage to both ears so I cannot hope to be one of the "lucky" ones that retains hearing in one ear.

I started thinking and I decided, this disease WILL NOT ruin my life. It WILL NOT define me. I know that there is a vibrant HOH/deaf community out there. I need to reach out and start learning NOW. It will be so much harder if I wait until the day the next "big one" hits and takes away the hearing on my left side.

I want to start learning at least basic ASL and also teach my husband. He is wonderful and supportive. I know I can get through this at work too, because I could do nearly all of my job by email/chat if I had to. My question to you all is, how would you recommend I start my journey? Are there websites out there with instructional videos to start learning the alphabet? Would anyone want to practice via Skype? Any other ideas? Thank you all in advance!!

Hi welcome

Just stick it around here and read everything here.. eventually you will see what you are looking for. :)

Lifeprint is the best one for learning ASL. I recommended Aslpro online when my ex girlfriend was learning ASL.

Hi,
I have a similar situation to you. I understand how you feel. I took ASL classes at the Jr college. This worked really well for me. But you will need to use it in real life to really start getting good. So you will need to meet someone who knows ASL or you will need to start using terps for things like confrerences and meetings. This is when my ASL really started getting better.

Back