Hi my name is Auria :)

Izayahmommy

Reaction score
Hi everyone iam very new to this site i was wonderin on the inernet and ended up here.... i am not deaf but i have a legally deaf little boy name Izayah he has to choclear implants but still isnt able to pick up heaing that well. Izayah is the first person in our family that hearing imparied and it was a wonderful blessing that iam his mommy...i bascially looking for someone similar to my story to talk to or any at all with any thing they would like to share with me....i just want to know more about my son world....

i have a legally deaf little boy name Izayah he has to choclear implants but still isnt able to pick up heaing that well.
Just so you know, there are still significant numbers of kids who don't hit HOH functioning levels...It's NOT as much as in the past (ie 1960's levels) but there are still quite a few kids who might only be able to hear at severe/profound unaided levels, or have poor speech perception even with aids/implants.
Izayah is the first person in our family that hearing imparied
Please don't use the term hearing impaired. The correct term is deaf or HOH.....Hearing impaired makes it sound like we're broken.

Please don't use the term hearing impaired. The correct term is deaf or HOH.....Hearing impaired makes it sound like we're broken.
Maybe the OP is new to English.
I describe myself as deaf or hearing impaired because hard of hearing sounds like I am your 95 grandmother.
My hearing is impaired. That is a fact.
I am also active in the Deaf community.
I sign and speak.
But despite whatever involvement I have in the deaf community, my hearing will STILL be impaired.

I know the term has a problematic history but when people like you tell me I'm not deaf enough to be deaf (despite having 100+ dB PTAs and being fluent in ASL since 1990) it is irksome.
It seems similar to hearing people telling me that I'm "too deaf" to be hearing.
If hearing impaired is such a naughty word, maybe I should reclaim it.
In the same way the GLBTQ movement reclaimed "queer" and "dyke".

but when people like you tell me I'm not deaf enough to be deaf (despite having 100+ dB PTAs and being fluent in ASL since 1990) it is irksome.
Excuse me, but I'm not one of those voice off folks who think that if a dhh person has oral abilty, that doesn't make them "not Deaf"
I'm very orally skilled myself.
Why not just use the acronym HOH instead of hard of hearing? HOH sounds cool and cultural.

Back