Hi! I'm another Newbie

Beachgirl

Reaction score
I'm hearing, but trying to learn ASL. I was a teacher and I've been using ASL for a while. I met a deaf parent of a student at our school. No one had taken the time to communicate with her and I knew finger spelling. Through patience and time and A LOT of trial and error (and her 7 year old acting as interpreter at times), she taught me very basic signs in the 2 years I knew her. Several years later I wound up with a Hard of Hearing student in my class and her interpreter was gracious enough to teach me enough signs to communicate with her. She was 5 at the time and learning ASL herself so it was a great time for both of us to learn. I took 2 ASL classes several years ago and I was attending a monthly deaf dinner hosted by the deaf community of a local church at the mall and doing pretty well, but then I moved. I haven't found anyone near me to practice signing with and I've lost so much. I consider myself a slow signer who uses a lot of context clues to fill in the parts I miss, but I want to get good at it.
I'm glad I found this website, and I hope that I'll find someone that can help me to build me skills and confidence.

Hello Beachgirl, and welcome! I'm a newbie too. HOH, receiving my HA's this Thursday!

Hello Beachgirl, Welcome to AD! I hope that you will find someone close to you to teach you some ASL.

I noticed that you are from Panama City Beach, FLA. So beautiful area and I love it over there so much! I went there for 2012 Spring Break for a week and had a lot of fun! When I tried to teach my friend how to use sign language on the beach, I had a few people who came up to me telling me that they know how to use ASL. It was pretty cool.

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I hope you have fun reading and posting here. See you around here. :wave:

Back