Hi from Southern California

Kdub

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am trying to figure out if I am half deaf or half hearing and if it even matters. I had an acoustic neuroma on the hearing nerve removed in November and came out of surgery competely deaf in my left ear. I am trying to get used to not knowing where sound is coming from, having people be on my right side, trying to get my teenage sons to not mumble (the hardest!) and staying away from noisy environments. I have also developed hyperacusis in my good ear - an extreme sensitivity to normal environmental sounds. It is apparently a fairly normal complication after this surgery. I am 50 and trying to make these changes and having a tough time. Some good days, some not so much. Thanks for listening.

You don't need to define yourself based on your hearing. You're the same person you were before you had the surgery.

Sometimes I say I'm deaf but I generally consider myself a hearing person because I'm late deafened also. When I take my HAs out around others for some reason, I tell them I'm "going deaf" so they know I won't be able to hear them until I put the HAs back in.

Back