Hi from Missouri

wifeandmommyx3

Reaction score
:wave: I just want to say hi guys! I am a 27 year old mother of three. two of which are hard of hearing, and I just had my 7 month old tested yesterday, and he landed in the mild loss. I'm not real good at remembering the type of loss they both have. I just know Ethan, 3, can't hear loud and Fiona, 2, can't hear soft. Ethan falls in the slight to mild loss, but they also said he drops down to severe; so I'm confused on where he actually lies. Fiona has mild to moderate loss, and they both wear BET. Since this has all come about I have started making my own ear gear. I wasn't happy with any of the ones I was given so I got to playing around and am quite happy with what I've come up with.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

If you'd like to post the kids audiograms we can help you understand their specific hearing loss (and what they can and can't hear).

How are you communicating with them, and they with each other?

If you aren't already doing so, I'd recommend learning and using Sign Language (in addition to speech).

In case you are concerned that signing might "hurt their speech", take comfort that it's actally been proven over and over again that both hearing and hoh/deaf children atually benefit from being in a ASL and English environment and develop BETTER language skills than they would if they didn't have ASL.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

If you'd like to post the kids audiograms we can help you understand their specific hearing loss (and what they can and can't hear).

How are you communicating with them, and they with each other?

If you aren't already doing so, I'd recommend learning and using Sign Language (in addition to speech).

In case you are concerned that signing might "hurt their speech", take comfort that it's actally been proven over and over again that both hearing and hoh/deaf children atually benefit from being in a ASL and English environment and develop BETTER language skills than they would if they didn't have ASL.
Yes indeedy. Most HOH kids can develop spoken language pretty decently. You don't need to worry all that much about spoken language development with HOH kids. Heck, they can do well with just a regular (meaning not specialized with dhh kids) speech therapist. But the thing is, those of us who are HOH very rarely get Deaf stuff, like ASL or placement in Deaf ed.
Which is sad b/c ASL and Deaf stuff is REALLY fun. We get HOH adults posting here all the time, that they wish they'd gotten ASL and Deaf ed as kids....instead all they got is front row seating, FM device and speech therapy.And actually, it does seem like "voice off" (meaning no oral skills) dhh kids are overall VERY rare. .......another thing that a lot of parents seem to miss is that with ASL, their dhh kids can be BILINGAL, and use both ASL/Sign and speech! They can function both WITH their hearing aids and without their hearing aids. ASL is also a fun second language......the trouble with the HOH approach (and we're talking about HLAA/auditory verbal style HOH, since sadly the private/seperate oral deaf education system is pretty much DEAD) is that it's boring and it's like living life as an eternal speech therapy session.
Also, ASL plays to the nautral visual processing strengh in dhh kids. You wouldnt educate a kid who was strong in math but defiencent in English, by solely focusing on their defiency in English would you? So why do we demand that HOH kids be exclusively schooled with oral only with very little sign?

Back