Reaction score
Born and raised in Houston, TX! My family came to USA in the 80’s from El Salvador. I am hearing and fluent in Spanish. I decided to learn a different language last year and it’s been a journey I must say. I want to learn something out of the norm and after so much thinking and praying ASL was it. I didn’t know cinch about the Deaf community or that one even existed. It just didn’t cross my mind. I honestly felt stupid to learn that Deaf people actually do live among us and that they live just like any other hearing person. I stepped into my first ASL class and I felt so small! My professor was Deaf, I had no idea how this was going to work I was terrified. Most of my classmates had knowledge of ASL - I didn’t even know my ABC’s. I figured since most were 10 years younger, they could learn easier? Haha idk. Either way, I struggled, I cried and asked myself many times what the hell I was doing. Fast forward a year later I have caught on, I am not great- I still stutter with my signs but I am so proud of what I DO UNDERSTAND haha. There is still some I can’t quite put together. I want to make the effort to explore my horizons in the Deaf community. I’d like to meet people with same interests, hobbies.
I am married, have a 10yr old son and 7yr old step daughter. We are a blended family and tomorrow is my 2nd year wedding anniversary!!!!
I am into gardening and my focus is On roses and seasonal flowers, I spend a couple of hours in my garden as I love nature. I cook pretty much everyday I like trying out new recipes. I’m into Sci-movies and dramas and cry on sad movies I can’t help it. My husband and I love to try out new restaurants and bars. We enjoy working out-he’s a trainer- and we like music festivals. We’re young parents that still like to have fun. My husband is very supportive of me learning ASL, he comes out to Deaf events with me and that makes me feel so good honestly because he knows how much I’ve struggled- and still learning lol. I don’t know if he will catch on to learning with me but just the fact that he’s got my back means the world!
Hope to chat with some of you sometime!

Welcome :)
I know how you felt when you went to your first class. My first class was at a college, I was 14 and hard of hearing. The teacher was deaf and the students were hearing. I was in the middle and didn't fit in on either side.

Welcome to the alldeaf.com! Congrats on your two years wedding anniversary! You are not the only hearing person here! There are other hearing people who seek and communicate with us at alldeaf.com and in life too. I’m glad that you are reaching out to us here. It’s wonderful that your husband is willing to support you and even learning some signs with you.

My husband and I are deaf but my son and step sons are hearing. I grew up mainstream so I have both hearing and deaf worlds. I have many hearing friends whom I have taught them signs.

I’m curious what is your faith background?

I look forward to hear from you. Enjoy your evening and keep learning ASL!

God’s blessing

Back