Hi everyone!

Abigail H

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

My name is Abigail Hill, and I am a 17 year old living the the Anderson SC area. I am Hearing, but I have had an interest in learning ASL for a while, and am finally getting around to doing it. I am using Dr. Bill Vicars' online course at • ASL • American Sign Language . I would appreciate any tips I can get on making further progress in the language. I find ASL to be quite fascinating! :P

Hi Abigail! Welcome to AllDeaf:)

I would appreciate any tips I can get on making further progress in the language.

Best is to take a class. If you can't do that, at least try to find someone you can get feedback from on occasion who is fluent in ASL. Here's what I would do (and have done) -

Attempt to talk to yourself in ASL, anytime you think of something.

When you find something you don't know how to sign (either because of vocabulary or grammatical structure) make a note of it and keep a notebook with those notes. Then ask those questions of someone who is fluent. (If you have a fluent friend, great, but if not, it's worth paying someone once in a while for their time. Feedback is sooooo valuable in this process.)

Once you have a clear understanding of how to sign something right, practice it in front of a mirror until you can do it cleanly, without awkwardness.

I have a bunch of ideas on my first (currently only) blog entry. Some might not apply to you, but feel free to check it out.

Back