Hi everyone

usalabs

Reaction score
I'm not entirely deaf, but have lost 80% hearing.

I'm a 52 year old British man living in the USA.

How I started to lose my hearing is unknown, but it happened when I was living in the UK 30 years ago, and has become gradual over the the years. Way back, when I had pretty good hearing, for some unforeseen reason, I started to learn BSL, British Sign Language, at the Oxford University, I then started to teach BSL at local schools for deaf children, then fate had a turn and I ended up here in the USA, and got married,,, my wife is not deaf, my guess is that I'll be completely deaf by the time I reach 55 or 60.

After searching on the net and found ASLPro.com I realised that ASL is a lot more complicated to learn that BSL, and as I'm already (not really a professional) highly conversed in BSL, I started teaching my wife BSL, as it's a lot more easier to learn.

A few years ago, I met a deaf friend of mine named Wolf, but communication had to be by lip reading, even though he could sign, it wasn't the language I understood, but basically, he said it took him nearly 20 years to master ASL, but compared to only 5 years for BSL, I would probably be way into my 70's before I could even hold a decent conversation in ASL.

I do have Skype if anyone wants to compare the differences in ASL and BSL.

As I haven't literally used full conversational sign for a very long time, I'm a bit rusty lol, and because of my age, my fingers are not as fast as they used to be.

Hello. Do you plan to move back to England? If not it would probably be worth your time to learn ASL, and expand your world beyond your wife. :)

And the rule is generally that seven years is how long it takes to become fluent in ASL.

Good luck. :wave:

Back