Hi everyone! I'm new here :)

ladyluck

Reaction score
Hi people!!.im a teenager who is deaf.
my parents decided earlier in my life that it was best for me not to learn sign language...to be able to communicate better ig with the real world.
so thats about it lol
:) i hope im welcomed here :D :wave:

You are welcome here. Are you completely deaf? Do you wear hearing aids?

:wave: HI ! So what does that make the us deaf and hoh people world , a 'Fake world ' ??? If you want you could always learn ASL on your own .

my parents decided earlier in my life that it was best for me not to learn sign language...to be able to communicate better ig with the real world.
so thats about it lol

I do not like hearing parents especially my hearing parents telling me to go to the oral-only mainstream schools. I struggled trying to make head and tail what the hearing teachers taught us in the hearing classrooms. I was forced not to sign ASL until I graduated from high school.

I hope it is never too late for you to learn ASL which you need very badly. So hopefully you can go to the ASL class and learn how to sign ASL including Deaf Culture.

:welcome: to AllDeaf Forum. Have fun reading and posting here. See you around here. :cool2:

Pls tell your parents that the Deaf world is just as real as the hearing world.

Heyyyyyyy!!!:)

so thats about it lol

Hi! I'm new too. I'm not deaf, but I have a deaf nephew. Is it hard for you not to be able to sign?

In my opinion I think all hearing people should learn basic asl as well, even if they don't know/talk to deaf/HoH people.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AllDeaf App mobile app

:wave: HI ! So what does that make the us deaf and hoh people world , a 'Fake world ' ??? If you want you could always learn ASL on your own .

Yup! It's not that unusual for dhh teens to learn ASL as a second language.... There's even a summer program at Gally for dhh teens to learn ASL!

i accept what my parents say about simply learning to speak...but i probably will learn asl later.

noooo not a fake world... but the majority of people are hearing people...i want to b able to communicate with them also

i accept what my parents say about simply learning to speak...but i probably will learn asl later.

noooo not a fake world... but the majority of people are hearing people...i want to b able to communicate with them also

Most kids who Sign (like 95%) also get a very hefty dose of speech therapy and HOH style interventions. It's not an either or choice..... Very few Sign using kids are monoglot sign. Wish parents would actually investigate Deaf Ed programs, and see what happens there, rather then relying on the myth that all Deaf intervention is, is ASL only.
There are many different pieces to the puzzle.
I do agree that dhh kids should be taught how to speak and how to survive in the hearing world....I just don't believe that it should be the be all and end all. ....There are many different pieces to the puzzle for success....Even most of the kids who do well speechwise and academicly, can still strongly strongly benefit socially and emotionally from learning ASL, and attending Deaf camp...... You really should take the plunge and learn ASL, and get involved......I think you'd be VERY surprised!

BTW, if you're interested in learning ASL, maybe a good idea might be to attend Deaf camp this summer, and get introduced to Deaf culture and ASL! .... I'm assuming you grew up pretty much in the mainstream. (ie not even attendance at an oral deaf school or going to Clarke School Summer Adventure)
Again, I think you'd be really surprised at what is out there......there are all kinds of kids who attend deaf camps, and all types of kids who identify as Deaf.

Back