Hey(:

lexichristinaw

Reaction score
My name is Lexi:) I took asl in high school and fell in love with it! It was required to take a language so I chose asl since I am a visual person and have a hard time hearing people (although it's not diagnosed, I just miss hear people a lot). But asl was something I was actually really good at! And I miss it. So I thought I would try to meet people who can help me learn again, who I can actually use it with. I can't wait to meet some new friends!!:) ImageUploadedByAllDeaf1394789492.476819.jpg

:welcome: Lexi, welcome to the All Deaf forum! I am glad you chose to take ASL in which you fell in love with. ASL is truly a beautiful language.

I taught ASL before at the college level and the respond that students give upon me asking them why they chose to take ASL is that they thought it would be easier than Spanish! I had to explain to them that this is not the case! Sign language is a unique language in which it requires visualization while spoken languages requires literal thinking. One nice thing about ASL is that it is very expressive outwardly which makes concepts easier to understand. Even my hearing friends who frequently interact with me say they understand things better when they are signed.

You should try to find local ASL events as there tends to be a monthly ASL social event at places such as Starbucks in major cities.

:welcome: to AllDeaf Forum. I hope you enjoy reading and posting here. By the way, you need to get a hearing test with audiologist in your area or you can ask the school for a hearing test. :hmm: Just so that you know how much hearing you have lost. Maybe if you prefer, you might need hearing aid. Also talk with your parents about it. :dunno:

See you around here. :wave:

Back