Help on buying decision: iPhone 4 vs. Android OS based system

nobody456

Reaction score
My contract with AT&T ends 9/2/2010, which is coming up and I'm very strongly considering buying a Android-based phone. The difference in OS is important to me as I will be trying to develop applications and I don't have a Mac to develop iPhone based apps. Limited budget for now. Currently on a Windows XP with Visual Studio 2008 Pro with C## and Python. I have some ideas that I want to implement and it would be nice to have my own equipment to test with. I already have a full-time time job that isn't related to Computer Science at all (well, in a philosophical way, yes). Some are video-related ideas, some are not.

Currently I have a iPhone 3G which I will still use as a music player so that's not a feature I value. Originally, I just wanted a phone that had a huge music selection that was user-friendly. Two years later, I want to develop and there's a lot of momentum for more open-source development.

I use a lot more text/data than voice. Verizon > AT&T on that issue.

I wear a T-coil capable hearing aid. Mono though. I believe iPhone is not T-coil capable but I know with 3GS, Apple added the capability to make the output mono. Nice touch, but I'm more curious if the Droid X is the specs that fit the hearing aid T-Coil.

I'm pretty confident that I will choose a Android-based system. Eying Droid X with Verizon.

I'm not bothered by the "Death Grip" issue of the iPhone 4.

Any suggestions or comments on the pros and cons that would fit my profile would be very appreciated. Thanks!

I use and love Nexus One. You can develop android applications in Java or C/C++. It is possible to develop iphone application from your windows, but it would not direct development. I plan to develop iphone sometime after I develop several android application.

If you want to root your android phone, it would be good if you have strong background in Linux.

I love my EVO. My usage is about 1.3 GB as I'm heavy surfing internet, youtube, live TV, etc. I can't wait for upgrade Android 2.2 can work with adobe flash player 10.1 for any movies.

I love my EVO. My usage is about 1.3 GB as I'm heavy surfing internet, youtube, live TV, etc. I can't wait for upgrade Android 2.2 can work with adobe flash player 10.1 for any movies.

Android 2.2 and flash player already came out :D

Back