Help me with my ASL assignment?

acfinn

Reaction score
Hey all :)
I'm not Deaf or HoH, but I am a girl that's enthusiastic about studying ASL! I am currently taking an ASL class at Portland State, and my teacher has this assignment for us to interview someone who is Deaf or HoH. If any of you are interested in helping me with my assignment and could get back to me by Thursday morning that would be so helpful and very kind of you! My teacher gave me a list of questions to ask, but feel free to add any additional information you want - I'd love to make some friends on here! I'll just write out the questions here and you can send them to me in a response or whatever works.
Thank so much!
-Amy

1. Were you born Deaf or hearing? What age did you become Deaf? Was there a cause?

2. Is your family all Deaf, part Deaf, or all Hearing?

3. Did you go to a residential school, mainstreaming, or oral school? In your opinion, do you feel you have received a good education with your schooling?

(please answer whatever one applies to you)

Residential school - Is/was your teacher Deaf/Hard-of-Hearing?

Mainstream - Is/was your teacher Deaf/Hard-of-Hearing? Did you use an interpreter?

Oral school - Is your teacher Deaf/Hard-of-Hearing? What did/do you use in the classroom?

4. When was your first time you were exposed to ASL? Do any of your family members use ASL to communicate with you? If not, how does your family communicate with you? Would you prefer your family to use ASL?

5. What are some experiences that you feel identify yourself as a Deaf person?

6. How do other people affect you as a Deaf person? Do you share common values and beliefs with other Deaf people?

7. Have you ever experienced Audism?

8. Are you in college or have a job? If so, what are you studying or where do you work?

9. Do you go to events, socials, or sports where you use ASL? Is it important? Why?

Thank you so much for your time! I hope to hear back from one of you soon!

Back