Hello!

Gabriella1

Reaction score
Hi everyone, my name is Gabriella. I live in Chicago and have recently started learning ASL and a little BSL. I can hear but I'm very interested in deaf culture and getting to know people from all walks of life. This forum seems very interesting! Can't wait to get to know some of you. ^^

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I hope you enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

I haven't been on since I joined the site a few weeks ago. But instead of making a new thread for myself I thought I'd introduce myself here since there aren't many responses here.

My username is queenravenclaw but my Irl name is Krystal. At 16 I was fitted with my first biliteral hearing aides in both ears. I'm Canadian. Anyway I've had many operations on my ears for tubes and such. They never worked and my hearing started going because of many ear infections. I taught myself how to fingerspell at 12 years old. Alot of ppl are impressed when they hear that. I'm now 20 and in my 2nd year of college. I find it upsetting when people constantly make fun of me. they don't like if they have to repeat for me. I have trouble hearing every day sounds sometimes. Sometimes I don't hear the door or the phone. and with messages left on my phone i sometimes can not hear the person very well. Recently in the summer i was having something delievered. It was an early morning delivery and guess what. I didn't hear the door or the phone. so when i finally woke up and saw a message on my phone i couldn't understand the guys phone number i called my worker who got me the stuff that was being delievered and she suggested that I put a sign on my door stating to knock loud because I'm deaf!! I was really offended. When I recently spoke with a deaf mental health counsellor she was applapled. I am hoping while I am here that I can learn how to deal with people who are not hearing impaired and make them understand what I'm going through, and also tips on what I can do to hear everyday sounds. I should mention that my mom always wears hearing aids. I'm not afraid to show my hearing aids in my ears it doesn't bother me if ppl see them it. I think it helps them know. When I talk to someone and there too low with their voice I point to my ear and ask if they can speak louder.

Krystal, Welcome to Alldeaf!

This site is what you make of it. I hope you find some comfort in the similarities between your struggles and what others here have gone through. Check out some of the threads, ask some questions, and let yourself relax and have a good time!

You may want to check out the threads talking about devices that help you be more independent like a door knocker light and such. If you cannot find it, let me know and I will search one out for you.

I didn't see this til now because I come on about once a week because Im finding that it takes them awhile to approve posts. Im not sure why that is and yes i have gotten approval to get assistive devices and have already paid my part of it. So I should get my new stuff in about 1 1/2 cuz it takes two weeks and I just paid last week. I did find the thread on useful devices and have already stated which things i am getting. I've only been through the intro threads i should poke around at some of the other stuff.

Back