Hello :)

DeafNerdMommy

Reaction score
Hello, my name is kay. I am servery deaf and have central auditory processing disorder (CAPD). Back in the late 90s early 2000s little to nothing was known about CAPD. When I was younger I only had mild hearing loss so my parents sent me to public school and speech therapy. I can talk and read lips pretty well but mostly sign with my husband and kids. My parents and sister didn't take the time to learn ASL though. I use to be active in the Deaf community but have lost touch over the years. I just wanted to reconnect with the best family I ever had.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AllDeaf App mobile app

Hello, my name is kay. I am servery deaf and have central auditory processing disorder (CAPD). Back in the late 90s early 2000s little to nothing was known about CAPD. When I was younger I only had mild hearing loss so my parents sent me to public school and speech therapy. I can talk and read lips pretty well but mostly sign with my husband and kids. My parents and sister didn't take the time to learn ASL though. I use to be active in the Deaf community but have lost touch over the years. I just wanted to reconnect with the best family I ever had.

:welcome:

My older daughter is also hoh with CAPD.

It kind of sucks a little. I feel like I am more a part of the deaf world but yet forced to be in the hearing with my family. Yet at the same time I can speak my mind with my hands around them and they don't know what I am saying. My mom tried learning once but forgot all of it and my sister wanted me to teach her son but not her. I told her I would not teach him a language if she didn't want to support him learning it and help him with new words. I did however teach him a few words like hungry, please, and bathroom but my sister got pissed because she didn't know what he was saying.

I use to tell my mom not to try talking to me when I have my back to her face but she did this anyway . I was an adult so mom should of know by then I couldn't understand her , but she such good hearing there was no way mom or anyone in my family could relate to what it was being hoh.
So I can relate to you when you say your family didn't learn ASL.
I never felt like I was apart of my family while growing up .

It's kind of funny trying to tell a hearing person that. I mean I can talk fine and read lips well, so people think I am hearing all the time. But to keep a hearing person look pr even facing you while talking is like pulling teeth.

Back