Hello

Jacobcona

Reaction score
Hi my name is Jacob. I'm 20 and hard of hearing, and was diagnosed with APD when I was 12. My hearing changes a lot because of fluid and retraction. My eardrums are also seriously scarred from to many sets of ear tubes and nasal surgeries to count. My mom joined the other day and that's how I heard about this place. I am not sure what to say. I have not really fit in anywhere. I feel pretty isolated and in between.

:wave: Hi ! Are you going to college or work or both ?? I was wondering if you could met people this way.

I'm having a hard time finding a job because trying to understand people is frustrating. Currently applying for an overnight stocker job at a grocery store, and I'm thinking about trying to go to collage.

Hi Jacob, look for a vocational rehabilitation office in your area, and you can get help both with jobs and school.

Welcome to Alldeaf.

I'm having a hard time finding a job because trying to understand people is frustrating. Currently applying for an overnight stocker job at a grocery store, and I'm thinking about trying to go to collage.

I was told years ago that businesses get tax break for hiring handicap people , I am not sure if this still true today . I know that word 'handicap' is awful but this was used a lot in the 60's. I hope this will help you get the job if it's true today .

I was told years ago that businesses get tax break for hiring handicap people , I am not sure if this still true today . I know that word 'handicap' is awful but this was used a lot in the 60's. I hope this will help you get the job if it's true today .

Whenever I submit an online application for jobs at some large companies, there is a "page" where I can say I have (or have had) a disability. I check this and "sign/date" it each time. Haven't gotten a job yet, but perhaps I'm not the best candidate (by way of my skills/experience). I wouldn't expect them to hire me just because I'm deaf/HoH.

Have you thought about going to NTID or Gally or CSun or a school with a strong dhh population where you could learn ASL and be immersed in Deaf culture?

Welcome Jacob. You'll fit in here. I have found a few friends through this site and everyone's background are some what relatable. Do you know any asl or want to learn?

Sent from my SM-T520 using AllDeaf App mobile app

Definitely get setup as a client with Vocational rehab in your state of residences. Best thing you can do for getting education and a job

Hi Jacob, so happy you joined. There is a ton of information on this site for just about anyone. You have a lot to look forward to. I have been teaching myself ASL using Lifeprint.com, it is pretty amazing. Of course an ASL class would be better for you plus you get a chance to meet people and possibly make new friends. Hang in there, if you have any questions just ask.

Back