Hello world!

boatafloat

Reaction score
Let me introduce myself.

I've been hard of hearing as long as I can remember.

My parents were in denial about my hearing problem, it took me 8 years to grow big enough for an independent walk to a clinic where I got my trouble documented: 60% hearing loss on both ears, unknown cause, untreatable, ears too tiny for hearing aids.

Well, I managed to go through school, a couple of unviresities in two different countries, learn foreign languages, etc.

When I was 30, I got my first hearing aids, top of the line at that time. Life got slightly bit easier, but I still can't believe other people are able to hear salt pouring out of a salt shaker or a dog's wiggling tail. But that's alright.

Using phones is way worse, and looking like a weirdo, answering questions people didn't ask, unintentionally acting aloof to others who are just trying to be polite... I know, you know how it feels. There is no sign "hard of hearing" on your front, and you do not look like one, but you keep on acting like a jerk.

And you are never in control of the situation around you, most of the time it's just a guess work.

Little by little, that hard feeling accumulated into a huge bubble of pain, despair and depression.

And here I am. Looking for people who would understand. :wave:

You can to the right place! I've been HOH since 4ish, raised in hearing world, no HOH/deaf friends, no hearing aids till this year. Thought I was an odd duck till I found this site and learned. as an HOH, I'm normal. Hope you find this site as helpful as I do.

using a phone may be tricky but streamers are great use for that (it has bluetooth)

Holy shit. The last few paragraphs got me. Welcome! And who is giving everyone percents to measure their hearing loss, don't they know that it should be expressed in decibels and hertz and slopes?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using AllDeaf App mobile app

Percent's were used in the very old days. I sometimes use percent's because its easier than explaining decibels, hertz, slopes, etc. to a person who doesn't know the terms.

Back