Hello, try #2 :)

kdl88

Reaction score
Hello,

My name is Keith. I am not Deaf or HH (though I do have hearing loss, it's not quite enough to legitimately be a major concern for now) This one will be short as my first post hasn't been approved yet for some reason (length maybe?). I grew up with a Deaf grandmother in law who tought me some sign. Unfortunately she has passed on. She was the coolest lady. I met a friend in high school who was Deaf as well but lost contact after high school. I lost contact with any Deaf people at all until last year, the singer in my band is a CODA. We were practicing at his parents house (convenient, no?) but are now practicing elsewhere, and I don't get much chance to speak with Deaf people any more. I have found the, to be some of the nicest understanding people around, with an amazing amount of tolerance. I'm relearning what little ASL I knew though on my own, pretty much online. Why? To be able to be in touch and communicate around the one barrier that could prevent making some new Deaf friends. Language. I speak English as my primary, many deaf (most) use ASL or some other sign as theirs. It seems only fair that if I want to have friends who don't speak my language natively to learn their language. Oddly I find myself very relaxed and at home when around Deaf people.

So if you've read that far, and this passes the moderation gauntlet, lol, then maybe I'll get to form some new relationships. Maybe my other post will appear too... Who knows!

Thanks for listening!
Keith :ty:

Last edited:
Hello, thank you for the welcome! Sarfarigirl... do you know of any events in CT that Deaf frequent?

Back