Hello - New here :)

pympixy

Reaction score
I just joined the group today, and I thought I'd introduce myself.

I am hearing and I was introduced to ASL because of my dyslexia. When I was a little girl one of my teachers taught me how to sign the alphabet in attempt to help me with my spelling - and it worked! Years later, I took 2 years of ASL in college and I loved it.

Unfortunately, I haven't had much use for it over the last 10 + years and a lot of what I learned has faded away.

This week I started a new job where I'll be working with a lot of deaf and HH people, and I'll be responsible for subtitling video of deaf people signing. I'm given a script, so knowledge of ASL isn't "necessary" - but I'm excited to dust my hands off and start signing again. Luckily, I seem to still understand a lot of the signs - but I'm super awkward and nervous when I try to sign myself.

I'm hoping to get to know some of new deaf co-workers a little better and hopefully I will regain my confidence... I thought I would join this site and look for some local ASL meet-ups or silent events (I live in Sherman Oaks, CA). I also have Skype, if anyone non-local would like to chat....

I'd like to be able to try and practice with people away from work, where I won't feel as self conscious.

I'm really excited about my new job, and the opportunity to sign again on a daily basis. - I'm excited to be a new member of this site.

:)

Back