Hello!! I am newly registered user!!

Easwar A.

Reaction score
Hello people:),

I am a hearing impaired guy (L:66dB & R: 61dB SNHL) studying in a college where normal students learn. Well, my subject is Physics and though physics and mathematics are pretty challenging for me, I am still interested in these and want to become a scientist. Mostly, I find it difficult in the college life since I am the only disabled in the whole department and hence people find me alone mostly. I feel sad often since I couldn't find anyone who really understands me well. On a such solitary evening, I was going through many deaf forums and I reached here to find new friends who have the same difficulties.:). By the way, I am sufficiently good at computers as well as Physics and mathematics. I would like to help other people in learning science . And if I become an established scientist or professor, I would be focussing more on improving science and technology education among not only people with hard of hearing but also other disabled.

HI :wave: I don't think deaf and hoh people are abnormal b/c we can't hear the same as hearing people .

If you are scientist, I hope you are not getting us to become like having us go through tests and finding the cure to fix our hearing loss. It may be okay for late deafened because they are used to the hearing world but for us who are born deaf like me, we don't want to be fixed to be like the hearing people. We are used to being d/Deaf including Deaf Culture and the Deaf communities.

I hate the word "hearing impaired" because we don't think like handicapped unless some of the d/Deaf are disabled with physical disabilities. We are able bodied with a good minds as educated and depend on visual American Sign Language (ASL). We would rather have visual accommodations instead of trying to hear like hearing people in the hearing world or society. We don't want to be forced to go the hearing way. :(

Deafies do not consider themselves disabled, they just don't have one of the five senses and there is nothing wrong with that. A lot of Deafies do not care for being "fixed" as you put it because they are proud of who they are and the culture in which they are involved in. :)

They can do anything, including going to an all-hearing university. Resourcefulness is probably #1 in that instance.

Deafies do not consider themselves disabled, they just don't have one of the five senses and there is nothing wrong with that. A lot of Deafies do not care for being "fixed" as you put it because they are proud of who they are and the culture in which they are involved in. :)

They can do anything, including going to an all-hearing university. Resourcefulness is probably #1 in that instance.

As long as the all-hearing university have a Deaf program like providing ASL interpreters or CART to help them understand what is going on in the classrooms. The University might have to hire students who would be willing to do the notetaking for you in classes. This accommodations are very important to the Deaf students. Need to add to Close captioned or subtitled teaching videos for classes, too.

Coffee-girl is one hundred percent correct on her post. :thumb:

Back