Hello From Vegas!

KiethHoyt

Reaction score
Hi. My name is Kieth and I decided to join because I just found out that my toddler is hard of hearing. Unfortunately, I thought it was her ignoring me so I was angry, but now I am learning to communicate with her the right way. I just wanted to stop by and say hello!

Hi. My name is Kieth and I decided to join because I just found out that my toddler is hard of hearing. Unfortunately, I thought it was her ignoring me so I was angry, but now I am learning to communicate with her the right way. I just wanted to stop by and say hello!

Welcome! Are you pursuing a full toolbox approach? Have you contacted your State's School for the Deaf? Have you joined the American Society for Deaf Children? http://deafchildren.org/ Look into every and anything (except for auditory verbal therapy which is unneeded and is also pretty much abusive) ......HOH kids have the same needs as deafer kids... the only real difference is that they have more residual hearing and can learn to speak easier. As a result, intense programming like AVT and oral schools is pretty much not needed...Most HOH kids can benefit from the speech therapy/spoken language training that most Deaf ed offers. It's awesome you've chosen ASL too! Many HOH kids don't get ASL.....As I said, look into every and anything.....start looking at Deaf Schools, look at dhh programs etc etc etc ... I think you'll be impressed with what is out there.... Most deaf schools/programs are very comprehensive... There ARE bad schools and badly resourced schools/programs, but there are also a lot of good ones too....
Keep an open mind and look into every and anything! Your kid may end up K-12ing it at a dhh program, your family may move to FSDB, Texas School, or one of the other good deaf schools...there's a lot of options! Congratulations on beginning an AWESOME journey with an AWESOME culture and language!

DOH! Sorry about that.....didn't register that you were from Vegas! ME DUH!
They do have a Total communication program.....https://www.leg.state.nv.us/73rd/Interim/StatCom/Disabilities/Exhibits/18900C.pdf
They don't have a deaf school, and I know a lot of parents who have moved b/c the services are so bad.......You might want to think about researching the good deaf schools/dhh programs, and then work from there........

Back