Hello from Oregon

Francy

Reaction score
My name is Fran. I am new to the world of HOH SSD. (I hope I'm using the terms correctly). Lost hearing in my left ear due to accident, and moderate loss in my right ear. I'm getting a BAHA on 3/10. Now I am wondering... is it normal to feel so isolated when around family?

Welcome, I am also from oregon. And yes it is, when you become hoh later in life it is hard for families to remember and this can make you feel left out or forgotten. I am hoh with auditory processing disorder and my family forgets a lot. I don't wear my HA at home since I sign but the only person that remembers is my hoh husband lol.

Hi, Fran and welcome. In my experience (profound deaf both ears), being insolated around family, friends, co-workers and other situations is quite common. Alot of us here at AD experience that. Anyway, I'm sure you will fit right in w/ us here at AD, the land of misfit toys...umm err..you know what I mean. :)

It is hard for me to really comprehend that/how families can just "forget"........

My parents were told I was hearing my whole life and then bam, apd and mod to severe hearing lose. So they try to talk to me from another room, ask me of I heard a small noise when my hearing aids are off and have gotten mad at me for not hearing. My grandparents still act surprised when they see my hearing aids, and I have had then for 4 years now. My family finds it easy to forgot, but they also forget that my sister is blind in one eye and has been since she was little. Lol

My parents were told I was hearing my whole life and then bam, apd and mod to severe hearing lose. So they try to talk to me from another room, ask me of I heard a small noise when my hearing aids are off and have gotten mad at me for not hearing. My grandparents still act surprised when they see my hearing aids, and I have had then for 4 years now. My family finds it easy to forgot, but they also forget that my sister is blind in one eye and has been since she was little. Lol
I was born hoh and my family never really got it that I couldn't hear them when I was upstairs and had my bedroom door close . I really don't hearing people can get it
unless they lose their hearing too.

Fran , I felt like an outsider in my family I was the only one hard of hearing , you'll have to reminding your family that you're hoh and they have to talk loud enough for you.

my hearing loss used to sound like that with my 2nd pair but with the new generation, anything like that disappeared :)

Absolutely. Isolation with family, with friends, with co-workers, with....
It seems the more people around the more I feel isolated as it is easier for others to chat and get left out.

Back