Hello all

catgurl72

Reaction score
I found a link to this community via Facebook a few hours ago. I have a slight hearing loss due to having meningitis 11 years ago. Thankfully, it's only in one ear, but it's still enough to be annoying. I haven't had my hearing checked in several years, but I think it's getting worse. Anyway, I plan to get it checked before I go back to work next month (I'm a teacher).

The main reason I'm interested in this site is I have had a deaf student the past four years. I have taken ASL classes the past three years, and have attempted to teach my student. She has managed to learn in spite of my poor ASL skills! lol There's a lot more to that story, but I won't bother you with it unless you just want to know.

By the way, if I use any terminology along the way that offends anyone, please correct me. I'm learning as I go.

Catgurl.......... you should tell your student about Lousionana School for the deaf, or any local dhh programs or camps ....she sounds like she might really benifit from such a placement.

It's funny you should mention Louisiana School for the Deaf. My student actually went there when she was in kindergarten. Here's the story as I know it....

When this little girl "Susie" was about three years old, she was enrolled in early intervention in our school system. She had a speech pathologist and a lady certified in ASL who worked with her. From what I hear, she had a volatile temper and had a lot of tantrums, including urinating on people when she was angry. The school system worked with the mother and with LSD (LA School for the Deaf) and got her enrolled for kindergarten. Susie went to LSD, which is about 200 miles from where we live. I don't know whether she went home every weekend, but I have been told that the mother was not very prompt in meeting the bus to pick her up. Anyway, it was apparently a tough year for all involved. Susie had a lot of tantrums, but considering that was probably her first time away from home, her age, limited communication skills, and learned behavior from home, that's not surprising. Susie did not learn everything she needed to at the kindergarten level that year, but I honestly don't think it's because of mental impairment. I suspect behavior played a big part in that. By the way, did I mention this child can be quite stubborn? lol So, her mother pulled her out after that school year and the whole family moved to Texas. During that year in TX, Susie did not attend any school. After about a year, the family moved back to my school system. The mother enrolled the two older sisters, but not Susie. Somehow, news got to the pupil appraisal/special education departments that she was back. My supervisors started talking to the parent and to LSD about getting Susie back into school. LSD said they would take her back if our school system did a re-evaluation, new IEP, and a behavior plan. So, that's what we did.

Before I continue, let me explain what I do. I have been a special education teacher for 15 years. The first 9 years were at the junior high level. The past 6 have been at the elementary. Most of my students have had mild/moderate mental disabilities. Some have been diagnosed Severe MD. Some have been non-verbal. Basically, I teach the children who cannot handle being in a general education classroom due to severe cognitive deficits, behavioral issues, sensory issues, communication issues, etc. I love my kids and would not trade them for general ed.

Back to Susie.... Her initial placement with me was supposed to be temporary. As soon as we did what LSD asked, she was supposed to go back there. Well, the mother backed out on that deal. We have heard a variety of reasons why she won't send Susie back to LSD, such as 'someone hit her, someone touched here, there was a problem on the bus'. We have no idea what, if anything, actually happened. I suspect that money may be part of the issue. Susie gets SSI, and I'm sure that money would go with her to LSD, instead of to the mother. Before I sound totally horrible, I am also aware that it may be difficult for a parent to send her child away to school that far away.

So, four years later, Susie is still with me and my classroom. She is so far behind academically, that it would be next to impossible to place her in a general ed. classroom. Also, her signing skills, while probably better than mine, are still quite limited. When she had an interpreter a couple years ago, she had no idea what the lady was signing to her.

Basically, I love having Susie. She's sweet, loving, has a good sense of humor, and is like a mother hen to my other students. But, I feel she is not in the best setting to meet her needs. Unfortunately, my school system isn't set up to handle her needs. Grrrrrrr......

Thanks for listening. :)

hey. If you are interested in signing I am definitely for it. Do you have skype?

It's funny you should mention Louisiana School for the Deaf. My student actually went there when she was in kindergarten. Here's the story as I know it....

When this little girl "Susie" was about three years old, she was enrolled in early intervention in our school system. She had a speech pathologist and a lady certified in ASL who worked with her. From what I hear, she had a volatile temper and had a lot of tantrums, including urinating on people when she was angry. The school system worked with the mother and with LSD (LA School for the Deaf) and got her enrolled for kindergarten. Susie went to LSD, which is about 200 miles from where we live. I don't know whether she went home every weekend, but I have been told that the mother was not very prompt in meeting the bus to pick her up. Anyway, it was apparently a tough year for all involved. Susie had a lot of tantrums, but considering that was probably her first time away from home, her age, limited communication skills, and learned behavior from home, that's not surprising. Susie did not learn everything she needed to at the kindergarten level that year, but I honestly don't think it's because of mental impairment. I suspect behavior played a big part in that. By the way, did I mention this child can be quite stubborn? lol So, her mother pulled her out after that school year and the whole family moved to Texas. During that year in TX, Susie did not attend any school. After about a year, the family moved back to my school system. The mother enrolled the two older sisters, but not Susie. Somehow, news got to the pupil appraisal/special education departments that she was back. My supervisors started talking to the parent and to LSD about getting Susie back into school. LSD said they would take her back if our school system did a re-evaluation, new IEP, and a behavior plan. So, that's what we did.

Before I continue, let me explain what I do. I have been a special education teacher for 15 years. The first 9 years were at the junior high level. The past 6 have been at the elementary. Most of my students have had mild/moderate mental disabilities. Some have been diagnosed Severe MD. Some have been non-verbal. Basically, I teach the children who cannot handle being in a general education classroom due to severe cognitive deficits, behavioral issues, sensory issues, communication issues, etc. I love my kids and would not trade them for general ed.

Back to Susie.... Her initial placement with me was supposed to be temporary. As soon as we did what LSD asked, she was supposed to go back there. Well, the mother backed out on that deal. We have heard a variety of reasons why she won't send Susie back to LSD, such as 'someone hit her, someone touched here, there was a problem on the bus'. We have no idea what, if anything, actually happened. I suspect that money may be part of the issue. Susie gets SSI, and I'm sure that money would go with her to LSD, instead of to the mother. Before I sound totally horrible, I am also aware that it may be difficult for a parent to send her child away to school that far away.

So, four years later, Susie is still with me and my classroom. She is so far behind academically, that it would be next to impossible to place her in a general ed. classroom. Also, her signing skills, while probably better than mine, are still quite limited. When she had an interpreter a couple years ago, she had no idea what the lady was signing to her.

Basically, I love having Susie. She's sweet, loving, has a good sense of humor, and is like a mother hen to my other students. But, I feel she is not in the best setting to meet her needs. Unfortunately, my school system isn't set up to handle her needs. Grrrrrrr......

Thanks for listening. :)

Hmmmm.... on the other hand, she went to a deaf school and didn't pick up ASL....she still has limited sign? That is weird. I wonder.... can you get her an itenreiant teacher of the deaf? Are there any regional dhh programs around? And i do agree with you.......it might be a money thing or the fact that the mom sounds very uninvolved..... I wonder if you could report her to social services for educational neglect or something.

Hmmmm.... on the other hand, she went to a deaf school and didn't pick up ASL....she still has limited sign? That is weird. I wonder.... can you get her an itenreiant teacher of the deaf? Are there any regional dhh programs around? And i do agree with you.......it might be a money thing or the fact that the mom sounds very uninvolved..... I wonder if you could report her to social services for educational neglect or something.

Honestly, I don't really know how much sign the girl knows. The mother herself has admitted that they use more of a combination of gestures and bits of ASL in the home. To further illustrate the parent's signing knowledge....

A couple years ago, there was an incident at the home where a guy stole Susie's sister's iPod from their porch and told her to be quiet. Well, Susie sees all and tells all. lol The police were called, but no one understood what Susie was trying to tell them, so they all came to the school to have us interpret. The HI para assisted them and they finally figured out what happened.

I'm not sure that we have any regional dhh programs around, but that's something I can find out from the department head. My coworkers, signing teacher, and I have discussed the possibility of reporting this as a neglect situation, but we haven't yet acted on it. I have mentioned it to the department head, but she may have been told by the SPED supervisor to not do anything. Not really sure.

You mentioned getting her an itinerant teacher. This past school year, she was supposed to have the following services:

Teacher of the Deaf: daily for at least an hour (she rarely showed up at our school, and I reported her many times)

HI para: daily for about two hours (she came regularly and was very helpful... however, she is also in the process of learning ASL)

Speech pathologist: twice a week for 30 minutes each time (she came regularly)

The para helped tremendously. She assisted her while my paras and I worked with the other six students.

Back